• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Plant Food Advice Please Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   cali k8 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:37 PM

This year I can barely feed the kids, so my plants have gotten all the water they need, but no food. When they woke up, I did ammend the pots with some fresh potting soil mix and compost. I added worm castings a month ago. I can SO tell the difference from last year when I had money for extra's. This year many plants have no inflo's. The plants that do have inflo's have only one or two. And the inflo's that I do have are kind of scraggly.

I could send the plants out to stand by the freeway with signs that say "I will work for food" but the way they look, people would just assume they are going to use the money for booze.

I get paid on Friday and I want to buy them some food. (no booze. I promise. unless you think?.......naaaah)

It has to be economical. I would prefer something more natural than not. I heard Miracle grow is really bad for the environment, so I imagine many other plant "foods" are bad as well. What do you guys reccomend for my maybe-not-so-unique situation?

#2 User is offline   nancycorinne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I've been a member of this forum since 2004 (I think) - well whatever year it first started. <br /><br />I came here to learn more about growing plumerias but I've made great friends and learned a lot about other flowers I have learned to love like stephanotis, tuberoses, pikaki and hoyas.<br /><br />I play guitar and sing, have a karaoke catalog of about 20 thousand songs and my husband is a drummer. We have been members of different bands over the years - none you would have ever heard of but it's been fun!<br /><br />Currently, I have about 40+ rooted plumerias mostly unknowns. <br /><br />The named ones I have are Heidi, Lei Rainbow, Aztec Gold, of course, gotta have Celadine. I can't think of the others at the moment but I know there are a few. Mostly single tip cuttings at this point. I lost a lot during an unusual freeze a few years ago and was disgusted. I just did not know a lot about keeping them from freeze.<br /><br />I love the colors the fragrance and the diversity of plumerias.<br /><br />Good Growing!

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

Kate? Sorry for your circumstances this year, please know you are not alone.

Have you done epsom salts? I don't think that is really a food but it might stimulate some inflos.

If you were closer I'd give you some of my Hawaiian Bud and Bloom and some SNG!

How many plants do you have?
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   jag 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

When the budget does not allow for the gourmet plant foods, there is nothing wrong with using a 8-8-8 or 13-13-13 economical fertilizer. It is better than nothing and it may be all your plants need since you said you added compost and worm castings..

In our area, the nursey's have a fertilizer called Nursery Special which is pretty good. I wouldn't use a time released fertilizer that lasts more than three monts. The plants will go into dormancy in about four or five months and that would be wasting money if you were to use a 9 month controlled release fertilizer.

At this time of year I start looking for fertilizer sales at places like grocery stores, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Big Lots, etc., and keep it for next year. Many of these places want to get rid of their garden inventory to make room for Christmas decorations and trees. A couple of years ago, I bought a lot of Dynamite pant food for $1.50 at Big Lots.
Joe

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   cali k8 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Great tips guys! Cant wait till tomorrow! If I sounded at all down about my economic situation, I really am not. I mean geez, the worst thing is I can't but PLANT FOOD!!!??? (ok and other extra's) Really I am blessed every day by what I do have, and I try never to forget it. I get to chat with all of you for FREEEE!!!

#5 User is offline   nancycorinne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I've been a member of this forum since 2004 (I think) - well whatever year it first started. <br /><br />I came here to learn more about growing plumerias but I've made great friends and learned a lot about other flowers I have learned to love like stephanotis, tuberoses, pikaki and hoyas.<br /><br />I play guitar and sing, have a karaoke catalog of about 20 thousand songs and my husband is a drummer. We have been members of different bands over the years - none you would have ever heard of but it's been fun!<br /><br />Currently, I have about 40+ rooted plumerias mostly unknowns. <br /><br />The named ones I have are Heidi, Lei Rainbow, Aztec Gold, of course, gotta have Celadine. I can't think of the others at the moment but I know there are a few. Mostly single tip cuttings at this point. I lost a lot during an unusual freeze a few years ago and was disgusted. I just did not know a lot about keeping them from freeze.<br /><br />I love the colors the fragrance and the diversity of plumerias.<br /><br />Good Growing!

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:06 PM

way to go Calik8! I sometimes forget to count my blessings. Thanks for the reminder. {{{{Kate}}}} huggzzz and XOXOXO's!!!
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   tuckered-out-angel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

View Postjag, on Jul 22 2009, 10:59 PM, said:

When the budget does not allow for the gourmet plant foods, there is nothing wrong with using a 8-8-8 or 13-13-13 economical fertilizer. It is better than nothing and it may be all your plants need since you said you added compost and worm castings..

In our area, the nursey's have a fertilizer called Nursery Special which is pretty good. I wouldn't use a time released fertilizer that lasts more than three monts. The plants will go into dormancy in about four or five months and that would be wasting money if you were to use a 9 month controlled release fertilizer.

At this time of year I start looking for fertilizer sales at places like grocery stores, Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Big Lots, etc., and keep it for next year. Many of these places want to get rid of their garden inventory to make room for Christmas decorations and trees. A couple of years ago, I bought a lot of Dynamite pant food for $1.50 at Big Lots.

In regards to sales on fertilizer and such...our local Lowes had several fertilizers, organic perks, and such already marked down as of a couple days ago....and if you have access to some 'good compost', you could make some good compost tea and spray the leaves on a cloudy day!!! Also...if you or anyone you know has an freshwater aquarium, use the siphoned off water when a water change is done---provided no algicide or medicinal items have been added to the tank. I used to do this and my plants loved the water!!!

Good luck with your plumies...

~Mary Jane
Mary Jane

...Deep in the Heart of Texas

Posted Image

#7 Guest_Scent Gardener_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

View Postcali k8, on Jul 22 2009, 06:37 PM, said:

This year I can barely feed the kids, so my plants have gotten all the water they need, but no food. When they woke up, I did ammend the pots with some fresh potting soil mix and compost. I added worm castings a month ago. I can SO tell the difference from last year when I had money for extra's. This year many plants have no inflo's. The plants that do have inflo's have only one or two. And the inflo's that I do have are kind of scraggly.

I could send the plants out to stand by the freeway with signs that say "I will work for food" but the way they look, people would just assume they are going to use the money for booze.

I get paid on Friday and I want to buy them some food. (no booze. I promise. unless you think?.......naaaah)

It has to be economical. I would prefer something more natural than not. I heard Miracle grow is really bad for the environment, so I imagine many other plant "foods" are bad as well. What do you guys reccomend for my maybe-not-so-unique situation?

Priceless... :P Thanks for the laugh.
I would suggest something, but you're already using what I am. The only thing I've used this year is worm castings & I've had about 20 inflos. (vs. the 3 that I usually get).
What do you normally use?

#8 User is offline   trojanfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

Cali k8 you can find Epsom salts at $0.99 cents stores for uh 99 cents also sometimes HD has damaged fertilizer products like dynamite 13-13-13 on special just ask in the garden section when they put it out. Hope that helps, this recession sucks.
Dave :(
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   mystwitch 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:10 AM

Please don't shoot the messenger but about 20 years ago, when I was given my first plumeria, I was told I could just stick an old multi vitamin in the pot. What turned out to be a Celedine bloomed all summer on that little multi vitamin!

I have become a bit more informed since then, but always wondered if all those trace elements in the multi vitamin really did the trick.

I would also highly recommend Medina Hasta Grow 6 X 12 X 6 which is water soluable and can be used to foliar feed as well as soil drench and it's organic as well.

Hope that helps.
kb

#10 Guest_Scent Gardener_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

View Postmystwitch, on Jul 24 2009, 03:10 AM, said:

Please don't shoot the messenger but about 20 years ago, when I was given my first plumeria, I was told I could just stick an old multi vitamin in the pot. What turned out to be a Celedine bloomed all summer on that little multi vitamin!

I have become a bit more informed since then, but always wondered if all those trace elements in the multi vitamin really did the trick.

I would also highly recommend Medina Hasta Grow 6 X 12 X 6 which is water soluable and can be used to foliar feed as well as soil drench and it's organic as well.

Hope that helps.
kb

Very interesting... Out of curiosity, what multi-vitamin did you use (if you remember)?

#11 User is offline   mystwitch 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

20 years ago, really can't say but probably a 1 a day multi if I had to guess.

#12 User is offline   tuckered-out-angel 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

It could make for an interesting study: identical plants, plant size, sun exposure, temps, only use a multi-vitamin on one....intriquing to say the least!!! :huh:
Mary Jane

...Deep in the Heart of Texas

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users