• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My Dog Just Eat One Of My Plumies Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   IberianDreams 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:28 PM

I just came home to find that my dog has shredded one of my rooted plants. has anyone ever had this happen? Should I make him drink lot of water, maybe throw up? It was about 15 inches tall, so it wasn't that big.

#2 User is offline   dynagirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Rollerblading, sewing, cooking, Plumeria's.

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:41 PM

When my dog was a puppy he chewed on a few. I have not heard of any dog getting sick on one. In fact, I was under the impression that they are ettable, at least I know the flowers are. My friends dog just ate his and had no problems. My dog use to go after the ones that had rot on them. Go figure. I guess she could sniff them out. Probably was doing me a favor.
Your dog must be getting jealous, are you spending more time with your plants then your dog. One day my dog was jealous and bit the leaf off of the plant I was transplanting. :lol:
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   IberianDreams 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

dynagirl, on Jul 28 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

When my dog was a puppy he chewed on a few. I have not heard of any dog getting sick on one. In fact, I was under the impression that they are ettable, at least I know the flowers are. My friends dog just eat his and had no problems. My dog use to go after the ones that had rot on them. Go figure. I guess she could sniff them out. Probably was doing me a favor.

lol you have a good dog..few tanks I was about to rush him to the vets. I was so poed at the dog, he didnt leave me anything to re plant, that I forgot it was suppose to be poisonous. I cant find anything bad about dogs eating plumies online so I think you are right. Thank goodness it was a cheap plumie, if I had gotten home any latter he was about to eat my $50 plumie.

#4 Guest_Scent Gardener_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:57 PM

Plumeria is akin to the Oleander, both have poisonous, milky sap.
Did he just eat the leaves, or bite a lot into the stem?? The flowers are edible. I don't know about the leaves, but the sap is not.
Call your vet - explain what happened & what you know about the sap. Tell the vet you don't see any symptoms yet & ask what they advise if you start to later tonight. You don't want to wait until they close... Doesn't hurt to ask just in case you need to know (hopefully you will not, but better to have & not need).

#5 User is offline   VanillaShake311 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

I agree with Scent Gardener I have always heard the sap was poisonous but the flowers are edible....... although i too never found anything on the internet saying anything about dogs or cats being harmed by the eating of them...... I guess just keep a close eye on him.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   ElGuapo 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

My dog has chewed many a plumeria :( .
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/jzbarajas/th_DSCF0856.jpg http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/jzbarajas/th_DSCF0854.jpg
He's still kicking :) . I don't think he really liked the taste of the plumies, just wanted to chew on something. :lol:
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e369/jzbarajas/th_DSCF2904.jpg

Just keep an eye on him for an adverse reaction, just in case. :wub:
Juan
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 User is offline   William Tay 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:10 AM

My cocker spaniel broke one of my 10 inches tall plumies. He was chasing a cat and went over the plant snapping it nearly to the bottom. I was so frustrated. there is only 1/3 of and inche left from the root. Two weeks passed.....looks like the plant will survive since new shoots are growing from the side. Very hardy plant indeed.
William Tay

Happy moments,PRAISE GOD>Difficult moments,SEEK GOD>Quiet moments,WORSHIP GOD>Painful moments,TRUST GOD>Every moment,THANK GOD.

#8 User is offline   IberianDreams 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

William Tay, on Jul 29 2009, 09:10 AM, said:

My cocker spaniel broke one of my 10 inches tall plumies. He was chasing a cat and went over the plant snapping it nearly to the bottom. I was so frustrated. there is only 1/3 of and inche left from the root. Two weeks passed.....looks like the plant will survive since new shoots are growing from the side. Very hardy plant indeed.

You are lucky, my dog ate the bottom half of my plant then shredded the rest of it...I have nothing left to plant. Oh and in his rant he knocked over several cuttings that were starting to root, ripping the roots off, and broke my inflo off. Well I guess the good news is that after my dog ate over 5 inches of plumie and has survived with out any ill effect..that is except for the welts he has on his bottom, lol j/k

#9 User is offline   LeslieC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

Randi, glad the pup is OK :( Hopefully the plumies will be too.......well, except the ones that got totally chewed! ;)
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   N@t 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2009 - 09:23 AM

glad your dog is doing ok.
but on a safer side I probably call the vet.
I read somewhere it say the milky is poisonous.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Alohikea 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

Bad dog! No bone!!!
Alba gu brath!!!

#12 User is offline   nancycorinne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I've been a member of this forum since 2004 (I think) - well whatever year it first started. <br /><br />I came here to learn more about growing plumerias but I've made great friends and learned a lot about other flowers I have learned to love like stephanotis, tuberoses, pikaki and hoyas.<br /><br />I play guitar and sing, have a karaoke catalog of about 20 thousand songs and my husband is a drummer. We have been members of different bands over the years - none you would have ever heard of but it's been fun!<br /><br />Currently, I have about 40+ rooted plumerias mostly unknowns. <br /><br />The named ones I have are Heidi, Lei Rainbow, Aztec Gold, of course, gotta have Celadine. I can't think of the others at the moment but I know there are a few. Mostly single tip cuttings at this point. I lost a lot during an unusual freeze a few years ago and was disgusted. I just did not know a lot about keeping them from freeze.<br /><br />I love the colors the fragrance and the diversity of plumerias.<br /><br />Good Growing!

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:28 AM

I wanna say something like, he's a dead dog anyway for messing with plumies...but I can't bring myself to be so crass.

I hope he's ok.

Plumerias can be replaced.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users