Plumeria Forum: Homemade Anti-rust - Plumeria Forum

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Homemade Anti-rust Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   William Tay 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 73
  • Joined: 29-July 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Penang, Malaysia

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:15 AM

I have been using Chemical to deter Rust on my plumies. The effect will only last less than a month b4 I start seeing them again. Is there any homemade Non-chemical based solution that I can use so that both the plant and me can stay a bit healthier?
William Tay

Happy moments,PRAISE GOD>Difficult moments,SEEK GOD>Quiet moments,WORSHIP GOD>Painful moments,TRUST GOD>Every moment,THANK GOD.
0

#2 User is offline   Dutchlady 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,739
  • Joined: 20-November 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Southwest Florida

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:43 AM

Take the leaves off when you see rust appear and dispose of them in a bag.
I have not had much rust this year but of course now, with our rains coming daily, it's going to show up everywhere. However, it is naturally present in plumeria and serves to defoliate them for their winter sleep. So - I live with it.
I haven't treated my plants this year at all expect with non-chemical products.
Posted Image
0

#3 User is offline   William Tay 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 73
  • Joined: 29-July 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Penang, Malaysia

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:35 AM

Since I live in the tropic, my plumies leaves will last a long time. Removing the leafs can be troublesome once they grow taller too. Is there a non chemical formula out there that I can use? I heard last time so recommended some mixture of garlic, some kind of oil and onion.
William Tay

Happy moments,PRAISE GOD>Difficult moments,SEEK GOD>Quiet moments,WORSHIP GOD>Painful moments,TRUST GOD>Every moment,THANK GOD.
0

#4 User is offline   Dutchlady 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2,739
  • Joined: 20-November 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Southwest Florida

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:38 AM

I would be interested in that. I haven't heard about it though.
Posted Image
0

#5 User is offline   plumiecharmer 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 248
  • Joined: 25-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:On walkabout

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:23 PM

 Dutchlady, on Sep 11 2009, 05:43 AM, said:

However, it is naturally present in plumeria and serves to defoliate them for their winter sleep.

@William ...and for those who are interested in the accuracy of this topic...
The above quote has no scientific basis and is therefore completely false...

The plumeria rust fungus (coleosporium plumeriae) is NOT "naturally present" in plumeria..

The statement above suggests that plumeria rust is part of the biological make up of franipani, but this is false...

Plumera rust does naturally occur in nature, however ...IT (RUST) DOES NOT "SERVE TO DEFOLIATE PLUMERIA FOR WINTER SLEEP!!!"

In the tropics, plumeria "sleep" or more accurately go dormant for one reason only.. it is the DRY season!
Winter in the tropics is the dry season, it rains less, the days are shorter, thus causing the plant to protect itself of water loss by leaf abscission...

Plumeria rust can and does show up at anytime during the growing season and plays no part in frangipani dormancy!

Read this part carfully.. plumeria rust itself will lie dormant on frangipani during dormancy... (hope you guys got that)
When the season begins, days are longer, the rains comes, the leaves start to grow and the dormant rust will have the right conditions do its damage...

Thanks to the Floridian's.. plumeria rust has been illegally infiltrating SoCal since 2003.. (probably before)
The first reports of over-wintering plumeria rust having established itself to a humid coastal climate
manifested at Bud Guillot's house Huntington Beach California in 2005..
These plants were confirmed imports from a Florida plumeria nursery.

Back then, I myself received dozens of plant orders from the same nursery with rust.. straight out of the box!
The ONLY thing that ridded the rust was an illegal to California product which still took many weeks to get under control!!


Here is some good info on plumeria rust...

http://www2.biology.sc.chula.ac.th/web%20o...F/4-1,41-46.pdf


http://www.bspp.org.uk/publications/new-di...r.php?id=011016


http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/PD-61.pdf


@William ...GOOD LUCK (sarcasm!) with any natural non chemical products...
Even with chemicals plumeria rust has proven to be extremely difficult to control let alone, eradicate in tropical climates...


Bret B)
0

#6 User is offline   nancycorinne 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 816
  • Joined: 22-November 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA (LAX) USDA Zone 10
  • Interests:I've been a member of this forum since 2004 (I think) - well whatever year it first started. <br /><br />I came here to learn more about growing plumerias but I've made great friends and learned a lot about other flowers I have learned to love like stephanotis, tuberoses, pikaki and hoyas.<br /><br />I play guitar and sing, have a karaoke catalog of about 20 thousand songs and my husband is a drummer. We have been members of different bands over the years - none you would have ever heard of but it's been fun!<br /><br />Currently, I have about 40+ rooted plumerias mostly unknowns. <br /><br />The named ones I have are Heidi, Lei Rainbow, Aztec Gold, of course, gotta have Celadine. I can't think of the others at the moment but I know there are a few. Mostly single tip cuttings at this point. I lost a lot during an unusual freeze a few years ago and was disgusted. I just did not know a lot about keeping them from freeze.<br /><br />I love the colors the fragrance and the diversity of plumerias.<br /><br />Good Growing!

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:36 PM

So, Bret, do you mean he's screwed, or do you think he can eradicate or control the "rust"?

I did not read the links you posted because sometimes they make my head explode.

In simple terms, can we control rust with large glasses of beer or burbon???? Champagne perhaps....that would be my choice. B) :lol:

Really, I'm sorta sorry for not being serious but it's been a difficult evening for me and I'm just trying to be a bit funny. :(
Posted Image
0

#7 User is offline   William Tay 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 73
  • Joined: 29-July 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Penang, Malaysia

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:15 AM

Looks like it's only possible to minimise rather than erradicate and even minimization is a challenging task.....fungicide, good air ciculation, sanitation of dead and infected leafs.
William Tay

Happy moments,PRAISE GOD>Difficult moments,SEEK GOD>Quiet moments,WORSHIP GOD>Painful moments,TRUST GOD>Every moment,THANK GOD.
0

#8 User is offline   plumiecharmer 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 248
  • Joined: 25-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:On walkabout

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:11 PM

 nancycorinne, on Sep 12 2009, 12:36 AM, said:

So, Bret, do you mean he's screwed, or do you think he can eradicate or control the "rust"?

By natural methods? ...never in a million years!

In Penang, "the tropics" even with a STRICT, STRUCTURED chemical spraying program?
Control is a possibility that should be celebrated as a National Holiday!!

..eradication? ..yeah right! ..an impossibility!

I am listening.. but someone prove me otherwise.... :lol:


 nancycorinne, on Sep 12 2009, 12:36 AM, said:

In simple terms, can we control rust with large glasses of beer or burbon???? Champagne perhaps....that would be my choice.

Sure...

But my preferences start at Beer:30...

By 5:00 I move to Gin and Tonic's...

At dinner with red meat.. a nice Cab or Merlot...

Chicken? ...a Pinot Blanc is nice...

Fish? ...I am NOT A FAN of Chardonnay so I go with a Champagne instead...

I have to say that Cab's and Merlot's are my faves..
Oh ...and a hearty Chianti pairs well with Itallian!!

Wait a tick.....

We were talking about plumeria rust...

I guess all of the above goes well with rust! B) :(


Bret :P
0

#9 User is offline   Buc 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 44
  • Joined: 23-November 08
  • Location:Houston, Tx.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:22 PM

In past years, my plumeria have been bothered a lot with rust. I've tried chemicals with only partial success.
I read sometime back on this forum(I believe it was Rosemary) who used agricultural cornmeal on her plants with good results.
So this year beginning last spring I put a handful of cornmeal on each plant every month and to date have not had one speck of rust.
We've had a very hot dry summer this year in Houston, so I'm wondering if it was the weather or the cornmeal that produced the lack
of rust this year. I'm curious to know if anyone in the Houston area has had rust this year.

Buc
0

#10 User is offline   plumiecharmer 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 248
  • Joined: 25-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:On walkabout

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

 Buc, on Sep 18 2009, 08:22 PM, said:

In past years, my plumeria have been bothered a lot with rust. I've tried chemicals with only partial success.
I read sometime back on this forum(I believe it was Rosemary) who used agricultural cornmeal on her plants with good results.
So this year beginning last spring I put a handful of cornmeal on each plant every month and to date have not had one speck of rust.
We've had a very hot dry summer this year in Houston, so I'm wondering if it was the weather or the cornmeal that produced the lack
of rust this year. I'm curious to know if anyone in the Houston area has had rust this year.

Buc

How'z it, Buc... B)

What a "coincidence" that the rust left with the humidity...
As you are aware, humitity is a key factor for rust longevity!

That's why in my area (SoCal) rust has a more dificult time surviving... (thank Gawd!)

Gunna have to research the cornmeal thing.. (sounds laughable)
I will, however stay open minded...


Bret :rolleyes:
0

#11 User is offline   William Tay 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 73
  • Joined: 29-July 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Penang, Malaysia

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

 Buc, on Sep 19 2009, 11:22 AM, said:

I read sometime back on this forum(I believe it was Rosemary) who used agricultural cornmeal on her plants with good results.
So this year beginning last spring I put a handful of cornmeal on each plant every month and to date have not had one speck of rust.

Buc


Cornmeal...something not easy to find here....even in bakery shops. Do you just put them in the soil or mix it in water and spray on the leave?
William Tay

Happy moments,PRAISE GOD>Difficult moments,SEEK GOD>Quiet moments,WORSHIP GOD>Painful moments,TRUST GOD>Every moment,THANK GOD.
0

#12 User is offline   Buc 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 44
  • Joined: 23-November 08
  • Location:Houston, Tx.

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

 plumiecharmer, on Sep 18 2009, 11:59 PM, said:

 Buc, on Sep 18 2009, 08:22 PM, said:

In past years, my plumeria have been bothered a lot with rust. I've tried chemicals with only partial success.
I read sometime back on this forum(I believe it was Rosemary) who used agricultural cornmeal on her plants with good results.
So this year beginning last spring I put a handful of cornmeal on each plant every month and to date have not had one speck of rust.
We've had a very hot dry summer this year in Houston, so I'm wondering if it was the weather or the cornmeal that produced the lack
of rust this year. I'm curious to know if anyone in the Houston area has had rust this year.

Buc

How'z it, Buc... B)

What a "coincidence" that the rust left with the humidity...
As you are aware, humitity is a key factor for rust longevity!

That's why in my area (SoCal) rust has a more dificult time surviving... (thank Gawd!)

Gunna have to research the cornmeal thing.. (sounds laughable)
I will, however stay open minded...


Bret :rolleyes:


When I said hot dry summer, I meant lack of rain. Houston always has high humidity in the summer.

Buc
0

#13 User is offline   LeslieC 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Contributing Member
  • Posts: 1,403
  • Joined: 21-November 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:SWFL

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:13 PM

Buc, I'd have to say the lack of rain, not humidity. I've had very, very little rain and plenty of humidity too, but no rust.
I bought couple home that had some rust and sprayed it with an Ortho product I found and the rust on the 2 plants dried up.
So my uneducatated guess would be the lack of rain? This is the first year I havent had to battle it..so whatever it is, I'm happy!
Posted Image
0

#14 User is offline   Bfishy 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 478
  • Joined: 21-November 08
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Crap Coral, Floridump
  • Interests:Fishing, camping, fish tanks, my wife

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

Biowash works but it takes once a week applications to keep rust away, it does not however work to cure it, it only prevents it, at least in my experiance.
Posted Image

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -- Benjamin Franklin
0

#15 User is offline   jag 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 712
  • Joined: 17-May 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Baton Rouge, LA

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:05 PM

 Bfishy, on Sep 19 2009, 08:32 PM, said:

Biowash works but it takes once a week applications to keep rust away, it does not however work to cure it, it only prevents it, at least in my experiance.


Where do you buy your Bio Wash?
Joe

Posted Image
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users