• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Attention All Greenhouse Growers! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lopaka 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:16 PM

Got some good news for anyone that will grow plumies indoors or in a greenhouse this winter..
My final testing is done on a product called Hot Shot No-Pest Strip.
http://www.hotshotbrand.com/NR/rdonlyres/AF2DEDC2-16AE-41BB-B091-C2F770F3B6DF/0/NoPest.jpg
I am now in the end of the 3rd month of this test and I am so happy with this product..
I put about 50 small plumies in my greenhouse and I turned off the fans and let mother nature take it's course..
I don't use my GH anymore, only if I need to fast root something from Thailand..
Anyways all 50 plants were 100% infected by whiteflies and spidermites, the worst case scenario folks, as bad
as it can get in the tropics. This GH has 2 open walls that have a special bugscreen covering them so the bugs
don't get in or out. I took part of the screen off to allow total infestation and it didn't take long for the plumies
to get bombarded with all kinds of critters. I did nothing to these plants I totally neglected them but did water
them when the leaves were drooping because I wanted to stress the plants to attract bugs. When I did water
them I only water the soil, because I didn't want to wash off the mites or flies. The infestation was so bad if
I bump the table that the plumies were on the whole GH area would fill up with whiteflies swarming around..

I went to Home Depot and bought 2 Hot Shot No-Pest Strips (HSPS) I think they are around $7-$8 dollars each..
I hung them just above the plumies and left the area because the invisible vapor starts to release in the air..
I check the GH 10 days later and saw many dead flies on the tops of the leaves but could not tell if the mites
were still alive or not so I decided to check back in several weeks to see if the new growth would be infected or not..
To my surprise the new growth was untouched, but I didn't want to stay in there too long because of the smell even
though my GH is wide open to the outside air. Like I said before this GH is outside and the walls are totally open to
the environment making these results even more impressive. Well after 3 months there is still no infestation of any
bug and to my surprise the lizards are not affected by the vapors they can still be seen hanging out on the leaves..

Here is a pic to show you what they look like and how I hung them, remember these plants were 100% neglected
no food and I only watered with city water not rain. Many of the leaves were faded in color due to the fans being off and the
100+ degree heat inside the GH.
I used a 100% UV resistant polycarbonate roof to protect them from being burn up..
The UV outside was 10-15 out of the max 16 rating so the roof did it's job!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2528/3945637844_307fbe9d8b_m.jpg

In this picture you can see the older leaves that were infected compared to the new ones..
One thing to note here is that once the mites are killed and your plants are bug free they will grow faster and healthy
so the old infected leaves did not last very long and fell off, something I didn't take into account when I started this test.
:D :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3461/3944855355_146f06a913_m.jpg

This product last for 4 months!

#2 User is offline   LeslieC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

That is pretty amazing and great info too! Now for the questions:
I'm assuming the fumes are harmful?
Would you suggest leaving my greenhouse doors open all winter if I hang these strips? Maybe just add screen to the doors?
I can understand it taking care of the whiteflies, but the mites---did the fumes kill them off? I had a big mite prob this year and used a systemic liquid, which worked great. I dont want them again. I also had some whiteflies in the greenhouse even tho I really didnt use it except for seedlings this summer. I guess Im just confused with the mites--I could hardly even see them. Can they fly? (ok that's a stupid question maybe, but I really don't know! lol). Im also assuming what I had were spidermites...not some other kind of mite.
This sounds great and I'm definitely going to try it if I put plants in the GH this year! Thanks for sharing this info!!
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   lopaka 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

The product label says it is a odorless vapor, but since I have 2 of them in there I can smell it..
This product kills everything and because my GH was open I was amazed how effective it was..
This will be great in a close GH, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time breathing this stuff not sure how harmful it is..
Remember this is made for your closets I am sure they know peeps go in their closets from time to time.
The last picture leslie shows the spidermite damage just look at the white specks on that yellow leaf..
Did this product kill the mites or did they skip out of town since this was a open GH? Not sure but I believe the adults were killed
because they would have stuck around..
Also remember this vapor is slow release 24hrs a day for 4 months !!
That is a pretty effective deterrent if you ask me..

#4 User is offline   drjimmyt 

• PipPip
  • Interests:Anything that grows!!

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

View Postlopaka, on Sep 22 2009, 08:48 PM, said:

The product label says it is a odorless vapor, but since I have 2 of them in there I can smell it..
This product kills everything and because my GH was open I was amazed how effective it was..
This will be great in a close GH, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time breathing this stuff not sure how harmful it is..
Remember this is made for your closets I am sure they know peeps go in their closets from time to time.
The last picture leslie shows the spidermite damage just look at the white specks on that yellow leaf..
Did this product kill the mites or did they skip out of town since this was a open GH? Not sure but I believe the adults were killed
because they would have stuck around..
Also remember this vapor is slow release 24hrs a day for 4 months !!
That is a pretty effective deterrent if you ask me..

That looks impressive. I will have to remember these when I put up my greenhouse next month. :D

drjimmyt

#5 User is offline   malestrom 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Flowers, Fishing, Outdoors, Animals, Making Friends, Reptiles, Dogs, Rescuing animals. Computer Repairs, Networking Computers and people, Teaching

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:57 AM

If I hang 12 of them over my pillow will the inhaled content kill parasites inside me?
Posted Image
SPRING IS HERE!! WOO-HOO!!!

TIME TO REVIVE THE CLAN AND SHOW EM OFF!!

PAKALA HAS 4 INFLOS ALREADY!! WOOT!!!

#6 User is offline   Sunny Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Church and Family activities, reading, gardening, and of course.... growing plumeria... my latest "hobby".

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:04 PM

Great info... thanks for sharing.... Michael... you are too funny...If only it would work that way....

Linda :P

Posted Image

J 105

#7 User is offline   dynagirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Rollerblading, sewing, cooking, Plumeria's.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:15 PM

Oh, I am so relieved to hear this, I have been battling those stupid white flies for weeks now. I try to get them at night when they are sleeping, but they won't go away. I really don't want to be spraying stuff either. This is wonderful news, Lopaka, you made my day. :angry:
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   kaz171 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

Hey Paka, thats very interesting as I've heard MANY stories about this product but never used it. The general consensus is that it works for thrips, fungus gnats, and flies but only a control for Mites.
The damn mites seem to be very adaptive and may develop a resistance to the DDVP, so in the case of mites I would definitely supplement with a spray in timely intervals.

Many have said the DDVP is also carcinogenic, but there are no studies that point to, or evidence of, dichlorvos being a carcinogen.
Suprisingly, DDVP is widely used as an insecticide in the food and green house industries - not toxic, and water neutralizes it completely. That being said I would still never use it on anything I would eat. I was just scared of the warning that it should be hung in a closet and the room be vacant for 3- 4 mos (or something like that :angry: ) who can really not go in a room in your house for 3 mos?
I took that as this strip being a last draw alternative that would knock everything out in it's path including you.

The most interesting thing Paka is that you used it in a greenhouse with open walls. Damn, that is powerful! Everybody I've talked to that used it said they always have to put the infected plant in an airtight container along with the strip to maximize efficiency.
If the plant can't be taken out of the greenhouse then at least they close the vents and shut off the intake/exhaust if any.
When I heard that, I forgot about it since I don't have a Ghouse, I needed outdoor penetration. maybe if you hung one close enough to an infected plant outdoors it may work?

Would love to hear more on its effect on the Spidermites as I've pretty much battled and won all battles organically with critters here, but not the damn Borg!

Great info braddah

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 User is offline   kaz171 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

ok, well maybe i spoke too soon. be careful everyone.

http://www.epa.gov/t...f/dichlorv.html

#10 User is offline   malestrom 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Flowers, Fishing, Outdoors, Animals, Making Friends, Reptiles, Dogs, Rescuing animals. Computer Repairs, Networking Computers and people, Teaching

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:54 AM

I just sprayed my bedroom walls with creosote and trimethylchloride
What flies dont die will stick to the walls.
If all else fails I still have 3 gallons of Toluene.
Posted Image
SPRING IS HERE!! WOO-HOO!!!

TIME TO REVIVE THE CLAN AND SHOW EM OFF!!

PAKALA HAS 4 INFLOS ALREADY!! WOOT!!!

#11 User is offline   lopaka 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:36 PM

The strips killed everything Kaz including mites..
There is no evidence of any mites now for 2 months that is plenty of time for a few egg cycles to see if new mites appear..
That is why I took the photo of the old infected leaves versus the new growth..
I been in and out of the GH many times and the strips don't bother me unless I get within 1 foot of it then the smell is too much..
I hope someone tries this method and post their results here..
I am in the tropics so if it works for me then everyone should be fine..

#12 User is offline   kaz171 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

Thats great news about the Mites!

#13 User is offline   plumiecharmer 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

View Postlopaka, on Sep 22 2009, 01:16 PM, said:

Got some good news for anyone that will grow plumies indoors or in a greenhouse this winter..
My final testing is done on a product called Hot Shot No-Pest Strip.
http://www.hotshotbrand.com/NR/rdonlyres/AF2DEDC2-16AE-41BB-B091-C2F770F3B6DF/0/NoPest.jpg
I am now in the end of the 3rd month of this test and I am so happy with this product..
I put about 50 small plumies in my greenhouse and I turned off the fans and let mother nature take it's course..
I don't use my GH anymore, only if I need to fast root something from Thailand..
Anyways all 50 plants were 100% infected by whiteflies and spidermites, the worst case scenario folks, as bad
as it can get in the tropics. This GH has 2 open walls that have a special bugscreen covering them so the bugs
don't get in or out. I took part of the screen off to allow total infestation and it didn't take long for the plumies
to get bombarded with all kinds of critters. I did nothing to these plants I totally neglected them but did water
them when the leaves were drooping because I wanted to stress the plants to attract bugs. When I did water
them I only water the soil, because I didn't want to wash off the mites or flies. The infestation was so bad if
I bump the table that the plumies were on the whole GH area would fill up with whiteflies swarming around..

I went to Home Depot and bought 2 Hot Shot No-Pest Strips (HSPS) I think they are around $7-$8 dollars each..
I hung them just above the plumies and left the area because the invisible vapor starts to release in the air..
I check the GH 10 days later and saw many dead flies on the tops of the leaves but could not tell if the mites
were still alive or not so I decided to check back in several weeks to see if the new growth would be infected or not..
To my surprise the new growth was untouched, but I didn't want to stay in there too long because of the smell even
though my GH is wide open to the outside air. Like I said before this GH is outside and the walls are totally open to
the environment making these results even more impressive. Well after 3 months there is still no infestation of any
bug and to my surprise the lizards are not affected by the vapors they can still be seen hanging out on the leaves..

Here is a pic to show you what they look like and how I hung them, remember these plants were 100% neglected
no food and I only watered with city water not rain. Many of the leaves were faded in color due to the fans being off and the
100+ degree heat inside the GH.
I used a 100% UV resistant polycarbonate roof to protect them from being burn up..
The UV outside was 10-15 out of the max 16 rating so the roof did it's job!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2528/3945637844_307fbe9d8b_m.jpg

In this picture you can see the older leaves that were infected compared to the new ones..
One thing to note here is that once the mites are killed and your plants are bug free they will grow faster and healthy
so the old infected leaves did not last very long and fell off, something I didn't take into account when I started this test.
:wub: :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3461/3944855355_146f06a913_m.jpg

This product last for 4 months!

Dude!

Thanks for all your effort and for posting!
This is the kind of information that needs to be rebuilt
and recorded in the archives for this forum! ...hopefully it's NOW backed up!!! <----- (don't get me started!) :lol: :P

Going to the "De-Pot" this weekend to pick up some fer the GH...

Singha!

View Postkaz171, on Sep 24 2009, 09:08 PM, said:

Hey Paka, thats very interesting as I've heard MANY stories about this product but never used it. The general consensus is that it works for thrips, fungus gnats, and flies but only a control for Mites.
The damn mites seem to be very adaptive and may develop a resistance to the DDVP, so in the case of mites I would definitely supplement with a spray in timely intervals.

Many have said the DDVP is also carcinogenic, but there are no studies that point to, or evidence of, dichlorvos being a carcinogen.
Suprisingly, DDVP is widely used as an insecticide in the food and green house industries - not toxic, and water neutralizes it completely. That being said I would still never use it on anything I would eat. I was just scared of the warning that it should be hung in a closet and the room be vacant for 3- 4 mos (or something like that :) ) who can really not go in a room in your house for 3 mos?
I took that as this strip being a last draw alternative that would knock everything out in it's path including you.

The most interesting thing Paka is that you used it in a greenhouse with open walls. Damn, that is powerful! Everybody I've talked to that used it said they always have to put the infected plant in an airtight container along with the strip to maximize efficiency.
If the plant can't be taken out of the greenhouse then at least they close the vents and shut off the intake/exhaust if any.
When I heard that, I forgot about it since I don't have a Ghouse, I needed outdoor penetration. maybe if you hung one close enough to an infected plant outdoors it may work?

Would love to hear more on its effect on the Spidermites as I've pretty much battled and won all battles organically with critters here, but not the damn Borg!

Great info braddah

Brahdah kaz...

I am VERY impressed with your increasing knowledge... :lol:

Honestly, Bro....

I'm blown away by this post! :)

Resistance is Futile! :lol:

Bret :wub:

#14 User is offline   Micah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Growing Plumeria +++ / Fishing / Taking Care Of My Sweet Girls/Playing With My DOGS

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:47 AM

Ok I Have To Say, I Seen This In lopaka's Green House At The Beginning Of His Test . His Plumies look neglected there was Very little bug actively at The time i Was There, That InSide of the greenhouse, But Outside The Bugs Ate Me Up, ;) Next Time I Stop Bye lopaka's Ill Be Wearing One Around My Neck. ;) P>S His PLUMIS Look Much Better Now!!!!
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   ThePlantPusher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:57 AM

View PostMicah, on Sep 27 2009, 05:47 AM, said:

Ok I Have To Say, I Seen This In lopaka's Green House At The Beginning Of His Test . His Plumies look neglected there was Very little bug actively at The time i Was There, That InSide of the greenhouse, But Outside The Bugs Ate Me Up, :o Next Time I Stop Bye lopaka's Ill Be Wearing One Around My Neck. ;) P>S His PLUMIS Look Much Better Now!!!!

Hey Lopaka,
That is really great info, I am off to buy 2 strips for my new GH.
When I would have any kind of out break in my old Greenhouse I would bomb them with pyrethrin.
This seems much easier, no fuss no muss...
Because I only keep orchids in my GH I really only get occasional mites and a ton of fungus gnats.

Thanks again.

Micah
That is hilarious ;)
Make sure the strip is metallic looking or spray paint it with silver leaf so it looks like wrapper bling...lol
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users