• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Attention All Greenhouse Growers! Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   plumienewbie401 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:1.) School, currently RN student<br />2.) Family &amp; Friends<br />3.) My Apartment Jungle<br />4.) My Jack Russell Terrier - Wendy - 18 yrs. old Sept '09<br />5.) My Pontiac GTP Supercharged Coupe

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:37 AM

Lopaka Quote:
"Got some good news for anyone that will grow plumies indoors or in a greenhouse this winter..
My final testing is done on a product called Hot Shot No-Pest Strip."

Lopaka,

Your very first statement to this thread was "Got good news for anyone that will grow plummies indoors or in a greenhouse this winter"

I guess after having read this thread completely...my question would then have to be - how safe would this product actually be if used inside a fairly small apartment in the city? See, there are three of us - My GF, her 8 yr. old D, and myself. Oh ya, we also have a 17 yr. old Jack Russell Terrier. The apartment is not much larger then 800 sq. ft. - however, into that small space we seem to be capable of stuffing over 200 plants. Currently we are growing in addition to plummies; Brugmansia, Figs, Citrus, Hibiscus, & quite a few other species.

We actually get two problems over the winters here indoors that tend to be quite oppositional on most plants; that being we tend to get an awful infestation of spidermites....voracious little critters. Secondly, fungus gnats - so bad that we don't even invite our friends over anymore to dinner.

As far as the fungus gnats, this past summer I've personally been treating the soil of all my potted plants with 3TBSP/2G H2O of Thuricide 2X monthly. I'd really love to give this HotShot No Pest Strips the 'ole college try, however, my fears in using this product inside are quite obvious after reading the attachment governmental DDVP thread....!!! I suspect this is an absolutely wonderful and equally as effective product for your GH's - but when it actually come to use indoors such as an apartment I'm not sure how safe it would be for the family & pets...!!! As mentioned here already this product has an overwhelming odor and is suggested for use in closets - no to enter the room for 3-4 months.

So, In my situation - other then to completely just dispose of all plants are there any other hidden trade secrets....??? I'll definitely go to HD and purchase a couple of these and give them a try, I'm just not to sure they will last a day in my place if the smell is so obviously obnoxious.

I belong to yet another plant forum in which we have been discussing this same exact topic for weeks - and we've come to a consensual conclusion that most of us will be trying - at least, for the fungus gnats a product that is called Horticultural Scanmask....there is an awful lot of information online regarding the effectiveness and safety of this product. Its basically a biological defense, nematodes that can be stored in your home refrigerator. It supposedly contains 52,000 nematode per teaspoon of product. Application is easy as well, 3/4 TBSP per 8" pot - so a 16" pot = 1 1/2 TBSP, ect.

We have only found this product available on Amazon - through a company called Hirt's Gardens & Supplies.

So, please respond with your thought, question and/or suggestions in the use of this product...!!! Has anyone here ever used it...and if so have you found it to be successful...??? Personally, I'd love to give this product an opportunity to prove itself, unfortunately I will not give Hirt's a dime due to an unresolved issue we had over the summer regarding an ebay seed purchase. So, please post and inform of other locations this product can be obtained from if anyone has information available as to where this product (Scanmask) can be obtained.

Thank you all for taking the time to read, respond, and posting your own comments and decisions in regards to this topic vs. Hot Shots,

-Scott
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.

#17 User is offline   lopaka 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

Well hope Kaz,DG,Bret, and James will post their results here after they give this product a try..

Scott ScanMask is a great product have you tried this site,I never bought anything from them btw..
http://www.biologicco.com/products/biol25mhsC2.jpg

As far as what the long term effects are with this pest strip I can't really comment on that only how effective it was..
I do know that the many of the hydroponics growers are using this product which is crazy IMHO.
What I meant by indoor growers is the people who grow these in another room or basement like Malestrom does..

Scott not really sure your layout, but have you ever thought of using a 2-4mil plastic enclosure to isolate the plants from the living area?
After putting up the plastic you can buy one of those GreenHouse Zippers from Home Depot or Lowes.
http://www.growerssolution.com/mm5/graphics/new/ZipUp1.jpg
They work really well and I used them many times in the past..
You simply peel off the back of them and stick them on the plastic and then open the zipper and cut the plastic inside to make your door..
Once you do this then you can use the HSPS I would think..

I can't use the nematode method for my potted plants because the USDA would not certify me for shipping to Cali or any other state.
The USDA takes soil samples every year from me to make sure that I don't have any nematodes in my soiless mixes..
With all the news about parasites invading our bodies I would be very very careful on handling nematodes or beneficial bacteria solutions.
I got my nematodes and milky spores from these sites..
Nematodes
https://www.buglogical.com/images/nematodes2.gif
MilkySpore
http://homeharvest.com/homeharvest2000pics/milkyspore10.gif

#18 User is offline   plumienewbie401 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:1.) School, currently RN student<br />2.) Family &amp; Friends<br />3.) My Apartment Jungle<br />4.) My Jack Russell Terrier - Wendy - 18 yrs. old Sept '09<br />5.) My Pontiac GTP Supercharged Coupe

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Lopaka,

Thats where I'm getting it from....Willow Hill,PA - Albert is selling 25,000,000 AU/pint on ebay for $65 - 2nd day shipping included. We found an Amazon seller - Hirt's Garden - selling same product but for a lot less $26, including ground shipping - however, Hirt's has diluted the product...they are selling 7,000,000 AU/pint....so it seems a better deal to spend a bit more and get 3.6X more....!!!

On a Brugmansia site I belong to we are going to co-op purchase - and try it together for the first time. I've been using Thuricide - but this is also a first time used product. Maybe slight over-kill, but I'm feeling better safe then sorry.

Last winter I was drinking fungus gnats in my morning coffee almost daily....YUCK...!!!

#19 User is offline   lopaka 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Scott use this product also and you should have no problems..
Thuricide might be overkill because it is for worms and not sure how effective it will be for potted plants..
It is also good for killing skeeter larvae too..
I forgot to tell people that the yellow traps work great..
The problem for me is that my GH is open so the yellow traps fill up very very quickly lol..

http://www.hydroponics.net/images/whitefly-trap.jpg

* Monitor and control small flying insects such as aphids, whitefly, thrips, fungus gnats, scale insects and other pests in gardens, homes and green housed
* The special yellow color attracts the insects to the trap, and the powerful glue kills them.

They have one for leafminers too..

http://www.hydroponics.net/images/133893.jpg

* The Sticky Thrip Leafminer Traps does the following things: Protects plants from Thrips and Leafminers.

*NOTE*
The sites listed here are only for examples unless I state otherwise.
If I buy a product from a certain site I will post the site otherwise these are only examples.

#20 User is offline   plumienewbie401 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:10 AM

I just ordered Biocare Aphid & Whitefly Traps....I believe they are the same items....however, your link when I attempted to order, due to my zip code they wanted 2X the product cost just for USPS ground shipping, so I ordered them from an ebay seller. I got two boxes...each box contains four yellow sticky traps and claims to attract & kill aphids, white-flies, plant lice, thrips & fungus gnats....

The Thuricide I've been using is to kill the fungus gnat larvae, they are these little white maggots that suck the juices and nutrients from the roots of your plants within the containers they grow....they are known to kill small seedlings and weaken your plants immunity. So I've been trying to water my outdoor pots with a mix of 3TBSP/2G of H2O Thuricide weekly.

This Aphid Traps (Sticky Yellow Papers) will definitely kill the adult fungus gnats, however, I also want to kill the immature fungus gnats in the soil too.

Thank you for the suggestion - I just purchased two boxes or 8 traps. That should get a start on things considering the plants will all be house into a spare bedroom - we are in the process of converting to a grow room....12' X 12' or 144 sq. ft. giving me almost 1/3 more space then they are already growing on outdoors.

#21 User is offline   dynagirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Rollerblading, sewing, cooking, Plumeria's.

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

Ok Lopaka,
I got one of the "No Pest Strip"'s from Home Depot, only $6.17 on sale. My greenhouse is 7x7x10, according to the package it says one strip will treat 200cu ft. which is about equal to an avg room 10' x 13' with an 8 ft ceiling for up to 4 months. If you use more than one strip, it says to keep them 10 ft apart.

My GH has one door that I usually keep closed in the cold weather if not it is open during the day. All ventilating windows have been sealed off with extra sheets of plastic. I currently have some white flies and the gnats seem to be multipling daily. I hung the No pest strip in the middle of the GH.

Will keep you posted as to any results....
Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Sunny Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Church and Family activities, reading, gardening, and of course.... growing plumeria... my latest "hobby".

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:03 PM

View Postdynagirl, on Oct 14 2009, 01:17 AM, said:

Ok Lopaka,
I got one of the "No Pest Strip"'s from Home Depot, only $6.17 on sale. My greenhouse is 7x7x10, according to the package it says one strip will treat 200cu ft. which is about equal to an avg room 10' x 13' with an 8 ft ceiling for up to 4 months. If you use more than one strip, it says to keep them 10 ft apart.

My GH has one door that I usually keep closed in the cold weather if not it is open during the day. All ventilating windows have been sealed off with extra sheets of plastic. I currently have some white flies and the gnats seem to be multipling daily. I hung the No pest strip in the middle of the GH.

Love your sign in your siggy Diane.... where did you get it?

Linda :)

Posted Image

J 105

#23 User is offline   lopaka 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2009 - 11:17 AM

View Postdynagirl, on Oct 14 2009, 04:17 AM, said:

Ok Lopaka,

Why not get 2 of them?
They don't want you to get 2 so close because of the smell or toxicity but I have 2 of them 3 feet from each other..
If you are not going to go inside much I would saturate the area so the bugs won't want to live there..
I would put them caddy corner from each other and hang them at leaf level but whatever works best for you..
Since I was already infected I wanted to make the air toxic to them..
All my plants are growing fine with no ill effects..
Let us know the results please!

#24 User is offline   Lakers3221 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:46 AM

Put two of them in my Green House about a month ago. I left for a trip to Utah and upon my return I have the worst infestation of white flies ever. Don't think they work on Goleta bugs.
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

#25 User is offline   lopaka 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

I read your post and was confused about why your whiteflies are still there..
So I took a drive to my friends hydro store and ask him about his findings with these pest strips.
He told me they work great and many of his customers use them but are cautious about the side effects for reasons I won't get into lol..
He also told me the flies were the first to go and like me he seen dead ones all over the leaves..
I live in the sub tropics and a bug problem is magnify 10 fold down here so I am not sure why you don't have any luck..
Are you sure these bugs are whiteflies sorry for asking, but I just want to find out why the results is different in your case.
I know my humidity effects how a pesticide is delivered so maybe the dry air might be the culprit.
I will wait for Bret and others to chime in hopefully we can all find a solution for the indoor growers.
Remember I don't need these strips because my plants stay outside all year round, but I have many friends who grow them indoors..

Thanks for the feedback hopefully more will chime in..
Oh I have 1 more question is the smell powerful?
The smell is strong but on humid nights it is alot stronger and I wonder if that is the reason why it is so effective.

#26 User is offline   LeslieC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:28 PM

Lopaka, I just bought 2 this afternoon for my greenhouse. The cold snap last night got me nervous. I just finished putting some of my more $$ plumies in there. They're going in bug free (as far as I know). I cleaned up the GH some but I know there's a spider or two lurking lol. I also had whiteflies in there in the spring---hoping they won't come back. I hung only 1 up, but think I might put the other in there in a day or so. So far, I don't smell a thing. Also, after tonite, I will open the doors in the GH again. I just want to keep them snug and warm tonite :lol:
Will keep you posted.
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   Lakers3221 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

View Postlopaka, on Oct 18 2009, 12:51 PM, said:

I read your post and was confused about why your whiteflies are still there..
So I took a drive to my friends hydro store and ask him about his findings with these pest strips.
He told me they work great and many of his customers use them but are cautious about the side effects for reasons I won't get into lol..
He also told me the flies were the first to go and like me he seen dead ones all over the leaves..
I live in the sub tropics and a bug problem is magnify 10 fold down here so I am not sure why you don't have any luck..
Are you sure these bugs are whiteflies sorry for asking, but I just want to find out why the results is different in your case.
I know my humidity effects how a pesticide is delivered so maybe the dry air might be the culprit.
I will wait for Bret and others to chime in hopefully we can all find a solution for the indoor growers.
Remember I don't need these strips because my plants stay outside all year round, but I have many friends who grow them indoors..

Thanks for the feedback hopefully more will chime in..
Oh I have 1 more question is the smell powerful?
The smell is strong but on humid nights it is alot stronger and I wonder if that is the reason why it is so effective.

Hardly any smell at all. Maybe the humidity thing. And yes they are definitely white flies and millions of them. Going to nursery tomorrow to find out what to use. Time to break out the big guns.
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

#28 User is offline   dynagirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:46 AM

I don't smell it much during the day, if the door is open. My friend smelled it, they said it smelt like BO. I notice it when I open the greenhouse first thing in the morning. I don't go in until it airs out. I have seen some dead bugs, plastered onto the plastic of the greenhouse. I still have whiteflies, they don't seem to be as active. I am not seeing any gnats, lately, but it might be cuz my soil on my seedlings has dried out some. I will water them today with the new Pro-tekt that I got yesterday and see what happens.
When I close the door it seems to make a big difference in the effectiveness of the product, our air has been dry, could make the difference in Ca. Maybe I should try putting my humidifier in the greenhouse? The spiders seem to be trying to get away from the pest strip. I think the strip is getting stronger than when I first got it. I don't think that it is something that you can stick in and then just expect them to all be dead the next day, it takes some time and it needs to be closed off or use two of them, that is my observation so far.
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   dynagirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:00 AM

Sunny,
I took a pic of a street sign that I saw, then cut it out of the pic and put it into my other pic. ;)
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   Sunny Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Church and Family activities, reading, gardening, and of course.... growing plumeria... my latest "hobby".

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:28 AM

View Postdynagirl, on Oct 20 2009, 09:00 AM, said:

Sunny,
I took a pic of a street sign that I saw, then cut it out of the pic and put it into my other pic. ;)

Thanks Diane... I thought it might be one you had made up....good job!

Linda :)

Posted Image

J 105

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users