• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need Meyer Lemons From Florida just the fruit, not a tree... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FLL Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2009 - 07:04 AM

Ive been wanting to make some Meyer Limoncello, therefore, I need some meyer lemons. I was going to order some online but have run in to the fact that its forbidden to ship citrus in to Florida.

I am located in South Florida but Im willing to make a drive. Can anyone tell me where I can buy Meyer Lemons in Florida?? Hopefully without any citrus canker on them since I need the zest. :) Id like a box or bag of about 20-30. A couple years ago I actually bought what I THOUGHT (and was TOLD) was a Meyer Lemon tree. It turned out to be a Key Lime tree. Id like a Meyer Lemon tree but I have no room for it...even a dwarf...and the boyfriend says NO MORE PLANTS till we move to a bigger place.

I hope someone has the magical answer for where I can buy the MEYER LEMON fruit.....in FLORIDA..... ;)
Patty in South Florida

#2 User is offline   ThePlantPusher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:33 AM

View PostFLL Plumeria, on Oct 3 2009, 08:04 AM, said:

Ive been wanting to make some Meyer Limoncello, therefore, I need some meyer lemons. I was going to order some online but have run in to the fact that its forbidden to ship citrus in to Florida.

I am located in South Florida but Im willing to make a drive. Can anyone tell me where I can buy Meyer Lemons in Florida?? Hopefully without any citrus canker on them since I need the zest. :) Id like a box or bag of about 20-30. A couple years ago I actually bought what I THOUGHT (and was TOLD) was a Meyer Lemon tree. It turned out to be a Key Lime tree. Id like a Meyer Lemon tree but I have no room for it...even a dwarf...and the boyfriend says NO MORE PLANTS till we move to a bigger place.

I hope someone has the magical answer for where I can buy the MEYER LEMON fruit.....in FLORIDA..... ;)

FLL,

If you have a high end Grocery store the produce manager can special order it for you.
In my area Bristol Farms, Gelsons or Wholefoods will usually order special produce meats, etc.
Good luck and Cheers!!!
PS. You might also think about just buying a bottle of Limoncello, they use the lemons that grown on the Amalfi coast that are sweeter that regular domestic lemons.

#3 User is offline   lopaka 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

View PostFLL Plumeria, on Oct 3 2009, 11:04 AM, said:

I am located in South Florida but Im willing to make a drive. Can anyone tell me where I can buy Meyer Lemons in Florida?? Hopefully without any citrus canker on them since I need the zest. ;) Id like a box or bag of about 20-30. A couple years ago I actually bought what I THOUGHT (and was TOLD) was a Meyer Lemon tree. It turned out to be a Key Lime tree. Id like a Meyer Lemon tree but I have no room for it...even a dwarf...and the boyfriend says NO MORE PLANTS till we move to a bigger place.

I hope someone has the magical answer for where I can buy the MEYER LEMON fruit.....in FLORIDA..... :P

Darn I gave 2 of my trees away because the USDA had a fit when they seen them in my nursery..
Ironic that my USDA rep was happy to have them as a gift..
:)

There are 2 fruit farms by my house with big fruit stands out by the road they should have the lemons for sure..
They also ship fruit baskets and since you are in florida they can ship those lemons too if they have them..
Here are the 2 google links to them I am sorry I don't have the phone numbers for them but you should be able to find the info on google..
Both places are in the city of Davie..
Lol I just realize you live by me DUH !
Get in your car and drive there girl it's only 10 mins from your house..

New River Grooves Street View (allow the map to load street view)

This place might be close now but here it is..
Batten Farms

...like james said your local store can order them!
I know for a fact Publix will special order just about anything for you this is how I get my Singha beer locally..
Give your local store a call or try the locations I gave you..
http://store.publix.com/publix/

#4 User is offline   FLL Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:04 AM

WOW this is all great info!!! Thanks!!!! I really dont want to buy Limoncello because the main reason for me doing this is that I want to make my own. I just get picky when I do things and want specific items... like this Meyer Lemon. Im also accomplishing two alcohol needs with one fruit because my abcolute favorite drink is the Meyer Lemon Martini.... but Williams-Sonoma quit selling my mixer.... so now Im going to make those from scratch by freezing the juice from these Meyer Lemons in ice cube trays. =) I'll be all set for makin my martinis and preparing my Limoncello for when my RAVENS win the SUPERBOWL!!!! :)

Im definitely going to try those two fruit stands!!!!! Yes.... I CAN DRIVE THERE!! LOL!!! I hope they have the MEYER Lemons....if not, I will have Publix or Whole Foods order them.

Why would USDA make you get rid of those two Meyer Lemon trees? I know they sell them at other nurseries... even Home Depot. I am so angry that I was sold a friggen Key Lime tree when they told me it was a Meyer Lemon!!
Patty in South Florida

#5 User is offline   FLL Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:13 AM

You must have used GPS to load those maps...LOL!!! I know where the New River Groves is... I will try them. I cant beleive I didnt think about them. I pass by there frequently. I didnt find anything with the Batten Farms link.
Patty in South Florida

#6 User is offline   lopaka 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:05 PM

You can buy a meyer lemon tree here:
http://www.meyerlemo...eeorderbig.html
-or-
http://www.a1acitrus...itrus.php?id=13

I also found a recipe you might like..
Creme Fraiche ice cream with candied meyer lemon peel
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/3770184092_6be51c5dcd.jpg

..coming soon a organic meyer lemon martini mix
http://www.handcoding.com/portfolio/www.mod-mix.com/images/photos/lavender-lemonade.jpg

#7 User is offline   FLL Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

Im not allowed to have a tree.... not yet at least. Im not so sure about that "Lavender Lemonade" martini. Im really picky. I would try the Meyer Lemon Organic as soon as its available. I am so annoyed that Williams Sonoma quit selling it!!! They had an exclusive deal with STIRRINGS.. and now its discontinued.... GRRRRRRRR. Oh well... at least now I can make my own and the Limoncello too!

Im going to go to that fruit place on my day off.... Wed... to see what they have. =)
Patty in South Florida

#8 User is offline   FLL Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

OMG that Ice Cream recipe looks AWESOME!!!! Definiately gonna try THAT one!!! YUMMO!!!
Patty in South Florida

#9 User is offline   FLL Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2009 - 01:47 PM

CRUD!!!! That New River Groves didnt have ONE lemon in the whole place!!
Patty in South Florida

#10 User is offline   FLL Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:00 PM

sure is sad to live in Florida and have such a hard time getting local citrus.
Patty in South Florida

#11 User is offline   ThePlantPusher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Hey if you want here is a grower that ships and has Meyer lemons.
Mail Order Meyer Lemons

#12 User is offline   ThePlantPusher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

PS...This is the time of year here in So Cal that they start harvesting the Meyer Lemons...
So they are fresh and this years harvest.

#13 User is offline   ThePlantPusher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

View PostFLL Plumeria, on Oct 3 2009, 08:04 AM, said:

I hope someone has the magical answer for where I can buy the MEYER LEMON fruit.....in FLORIDA..... :lol:

Hey was at my friends house yesterday who lives near me and she has a huge citrus grove as part of her property and she has Meyer Lemons and are ready to be used.
If you want some I can mail a few to you if its legal. Do not know the rules on mailing citrus fruit to Florida?

Let me know

#14 User is offline   FLL Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

Its been a while since I checked the site....sorry....

I checked that website. I think its one of a few that I already checked. Theyre not "AVAILABLE"....not until late OCT which should be any day now. The last time I went thru one of the websites in CA it said they could not ship citrus in to Florida.

I found a NEW Farmers Market that is supposed to open NOV 7th here. Im going to wait and see if they have any. Otherwise, I will make a road trip to Naples. I found a website to a grower who has them there... but again they arent available until LATE OCT. Thank you for offering to mail me some!!!!! I think I will save you the hassle and play it safe....and get them when theyre ready here in Florida.

Thank you again!!!! =) I cant wait to try those recipes posted above too!!!
Patty in South Florida

#15 User is offline   ThePlantPusher 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:18 PM

View PostFLL Plumeria, on Oct 22 2009, 06:29 PM, said:

Its been a while since I checked the site....sorry....

I checked that website. I think its one of a few that I already checked. Theyre not "AVAILABLE"....not until late OCT which should be any day now. The last time I went thru one of the websites in CA it said they could not ship citrus in to Florida.

I found a NEW Farmers Market that is supposed to open NOV 7th here. Im going to wait and see if they have any. Otherwise, I will make a road trip to Naples. I found a website to a grower who has them there... but again they arent available until LATE OCT. Thank you for offering to mail me some!!!!! I think I will save you the hassle and play it safe....and get them when theyre ready here in Florida.

Thank you again!!!! =) I cant wait to try those recipes posted above too!!!

Hey FLL,
It is late October.. :lol:
I also checked and that web store said they would ship to Florida, I checked as many Ag related products will not ship to Florida or Az, but again they said they would ship to you.

Good luck and tell me how your Lemoncillo turned out.l

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users