Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Fast Do Plumerias Grow? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   dennisrodz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 July 2010 - 06:56 AM

I'm new to Plumerias (and gardening in general) and I'm amazed how fast they are growing. I bought a rooted cutting in April with 2-growing tips. First thing I did was to transplant it to a bigger pot. Well, in the almost 4 months I've been taking care of the plant, it has grown 11-inches at each tip. It now has more green (new growth) than brown.

Is it normal for Plumerias to grow this fast? Or am I an excellent beginner gardener? :rolleyes:

I also planted some seeds by April and most of the plants are 12" to 14" high. At this rate, I'll need a new backyard soon...

Just wondering if this is normal.

Thanks,

Dennis

#2 User is offline   wah9b 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:07 AM

A lot depends on the variety. Which plumeria did you buy?

I planted a Miami Rose cutting in the ground in Spring of 2006 (a little over 4 years ago). It is now at least 12 feet high and my 4-year old son climbs in its branches. That thing is a skyrocket.

Meanwhile I have a Dwarf Singapore Pink that is almost as old and is about 2 feet tall and plenty happy in its 12" pot.

#3 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

Very good point - some varieties are robust growers and some are very compact.
Do keep in mind that these are TREES and eventually they will all be big, unless you keep them pruned.
In my experience, seedlings will grow faster if you give them more space to grow. My seedlings that are of blooming size are all around 5 ft or over.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   nancycorinne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I've been a member of this forum since 2004 (I think) - well whatever year it first started. <br /><br />I came here to learn more about growing plumerias but I've made great friends and learned a lot about other flowers I have learned to love like stephanotis, tuberoses, pikaki and hoyas.<br /><br />I play guitar and sing, have a karaoke catalog of about 20 thousand songs and my husband is a drummer. We have been members of different bands over the years - none you would have ever heard of but it's been fun!<br /><br />Currently, I have about 40+ rooted plumerias mostly unknowns. <br /><br />The named ones I have are Heidi, Lei Rainbow, Aztec Gold, of course, gotta have Celadine. I can't think of the others at the moment but I know there are a few. Mostly single tip cuttings at this point. I lost a lot during an unusual freeze a few years ago and was disgusted. I just did not know a lot about keeping them from freeze.<br /><br />I love the colors the fragrance and the diversity of plumerias.<br /><br />Good Growing!

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

Pffffft! Just beginners luck!!! :o

Just kidding!!! Sounds like you have a green thumb! I have no real advice. Just wanted to tell you how totally jealous I am!!!

But I have some Miami Rose seedlings which are bigger than my other seedlings which I germinated about the same time.

I'm going to buy them a 15 gallon pot - just in case!!! ;) :) :lol:
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users