• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inexpensive Greenhouses Outdoor Edge Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   dynagirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Rollerblading, sewing, cooking, Plumeria's.

Posted 16 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

About 3 yrs ago I purchased a greenhouse on ebay for around $70. out the door (shipping and handling incl.)
The greenhouse cover got pretty beat up from me, the sun, and my cat. I needed a new cover and the company on ebay outdoor edge sold me the cover for $25. incl. shipping etc.
What an AWESOME deal.
Just thought you guys might want to know in case you have one of these types of greenhouses or are thinking of getting one.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   jackie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:God, Grandkids, beaches, plumerias and tropicals, animals, photography,kayaking.

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:00 AM

I would love to see your greenhouse if you have any pictures of it.
I am kinda looking for one and dont have alot of cash flow. ;)

#3 User is offline   pammlla 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:22 AM

I believe it's this one or very similar from the same company. I just bought one this month and am getting ready to set it up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-GREENHOUSE-12-X-7-...=item2a0a98af83

Pam

View Postjackie, on Sep 27 2010, 08:00 AM, said:

I would love to see your greenhouse if you have any pictures of it.
I am kinda looking for one and dont have alot of cash flow. :rolleyes:

#4 User is offline   Nikki 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

I think I got two of those last season. My plants did well in them last winter, I had christmast lights looped around the frames of the two greenhouses...but it was just a typical winter last year so I don't really know how good these are in harsher weather. Some pics of them last winter...

http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/ktrlal/IMG_0008.jpg
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo60/ktrlal/IMG_0010.jpg

Nikki
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   pammlla 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2010 - 09:35 PM

Nikki,

I'm setting up my Greenhouse for the first time. Never had one before and could use any tips you have for the So Cal area. I'm in Orange County about 5 miles inland from the beach. I love the idea of using the Christmas lights for a little warmth. Now did you wrap them around the posts inside? and you didn't have to worry about them melting the plastic cover?

Right now we are planning on setting up the greenhouse on the side of our backyard by the brick wall to capture some heat. Going to use 2x4's to frame in the floor and fill with gravel with weed stop fabric underneath as I've heard that helps hold the heat too.

Now what is that spray can in the floor of your greenhouse? Something I might need to keep the bugs away?

Thanks for your advice,
Pam

#6 User is offline   Nikki 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Hi Pam,

I think its a good idea that you're setting it up by the brick wall, the heat can keep your greenhouse a little warmer at night, I had some candles that I would light up when the greenhouses got a little wet. Water somehow would get in the green houses for some reason.
I looped the christmast lights around the posts inside and no they did fine in there, didn't melt anything...As for keeping the buys away, I think I put some mothballs in several mesh bags and just tied them inside the houses, don't know if that was effective or not..but I don't think I had any spider mites...Hope that helps..

Nikki ;)
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   jag 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

I had purchased one of those portable greenhouses on Ebay about two years ago to supplement my permanent greenhouse. I had a problem with the wind trying to pick the plastic cover off the frame. It also broke some metal posts. They were not very sturdy to begin with. The following year, I wound up making a portable frame out of 2 x 4's which had a lot more weight and used the plastic cover over the wooden frame. It worked better for me.
Joe

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   trojanfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:12 PM

View PostNikki, on Sep 29 2010, 04:40 PM, said:

Hi Pam,

I think its a good idea that you're setting it up by the brick wall, the heat can keep your greenhouse a little warmer at night, I had some candles that I would light up when the greenhouses got a little wet. Water somehow would get in the green houses for some reason.
I looped the christmast lights around the posts inside and no they did fine in there, didn't melt anything...As for keeping the buys away, I think I put some mothballs in several mesh bags and just tied them inside the houses, don't know if that was effective or not..but I don't think I had any spider mites...Hope that helps..

Nikki :P

Miss Nikki, question... how did your greenhouses (2) fair in the Santana winds? For those not familiar with Southern California's Santana winds they usually are warm dry winds out of the North East and can become very strong, gust up to 50-60 mph are not uncommon. Also Nikki Christmas lights are cool, but candles ;) ;) ;) very dangerous Nikki .
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   trojanfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

View Postjag, on Sep 29 2010, 08:01 PM, said:

I had purchased one of those portable greenhouses on Ebay about two years ago to supplement my permanent greenhouse. I had a problem with the wind trying to pick the plastic cover off the frame. It also broke some metal posts. They were not very sturdy to begin with. The following year, I wound up making a portable frame out of 2 x 4's which had a lot more weight and used the plastic cover over the wooden frame. It worked better for me.

Thanks Joe I thought so. Dave ;)
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   pammlla 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:19 PM

Dave,

I too worry about the Santa Ana winds. Actually the weather man says they start next Wednesday.

Last year the winds were so strong that in the middle of the night it knocked our patio table over on it's side because we neglected to take down the Market Umbrella. Now this may not sound that incredible, but the tabletop is made of some laminate that is very close to Concrete!! So here I am out in the winds in my nightie trying to pick up the heavy table that probably weighs a couple hundred pounds. I had to pick it up otherwise the winds would have pushed the umbrella into the garden window of my kitchen.

I hope this year I won't be out there in the middle of the night holding down my greenhouse ;).

My husband plans on attaching it to concrete stakes and framing in the ground with 2x4's and filling with gravel. Hopefully this will make it strong enough to withstand the winds.

Nikki,

Great idea using mothballs in the little bags. I'll have to get some of these.

Pam

#11 User is offline   trojanfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

View Postpammlla, on Sep 29 2010, 09:19 PM, said:

Dave,

I too worry about the Santa Ana winds. Actually the weather man says they start next Wednesday.

Last year the winds were so strong that in the middle of the night it knocked our patio table over on it's side because we neglected to take down the Market Umbrella. Now this may not sound that incredible, but the tabletop is made of some laminate that is very close to Concrete!! So here I am out in the winds in my nightie trying to pick up the heavy table that probably weighs a couple hundred pounds. I had to pick it up otherwise the winds would have pushed the umbrella into the garden window of my kitchen.

I hope this year I won't be out there in the middle of the night holding down my greenhouse :).

My husband plans on attaching it to concrete stakes and framing in the ground with 2x4's and filling with gravel. Hopefully this will make it strong enough to withstand the winds.

Nikki,

Great idea using mothballs in the little bags. I'll have to get some of these.

Pam

Pam just googled "Santana" winds or if you prefer "Santa Ana" and they might be here as soon as Saturday 10/2. Also just to let you know this Sunday 10/3 a meeting of the South Coast Plumeria Society Topic "Winterizing your plumeria"
Murdy Park Community Center
7000 Norma, Huntington Beach, Ca. 92647 off Goldenwest at 1:30
Nikki golf balls in little bags?? :P :P
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Micah 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Growing Plumeria +++ / Fishing / Taking Care Of My Sweet Girls/Playing With My DOGS

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:22 PM

I would get one, but the snow would kill it! :P and all my plants in it.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   pammlla 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

I always thought they were "Santa Ana" winds because they blow down from the Santa Ana mountains but they actually come down from the Cajon Pass!. I learn something new every day. I googled too and read this: Another account placed the origin of Santa Ana Winds with an Associated Press correspondent stationed in Santa Ana who mistakenly began using Santa Ana Winds instead of Santana Winds in a 1901 dispatch. So I guess they are "SANTANA Winds" Kind of cool I think I'll use that. Everyone will correct me and I'll say "Google It' :)

Yes I'll be at the meeting Sunday. That's a great topic. I had read on the website that they were doing a rooting demonstration. Maybe the newsletter has more up to date topics than their online calender? I am ready to join, but heard that the membership is due each January no matter what month you join, so If that's true I will be joining in January.

Will you be at the meeting too? Hey will you be the one wearing a Hawaiian print shirt? :)

Pam

[/quote]

Pam just googled "Santana" winds or if you prefer "Santa Ana" and they might be here as soon as Saturday 10/2. Also just to let you know this Sunday 10/3 a meeting of the South Coast Plumeria Society Topic "Winterizing your plumeria"
Murdy Park Community Center
7000 Norma, Huntington Beach, Ca. 92647 off Goldenwest at 1:30
Nikki golf balls in little bags?? :P :P
[/quote]

#14 User is offline   Nikki 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

Dave, after I put the plastic covers up, I laid the bottom flat out and put all my heavy plants on them acting as my own anchor.. they took all kinds of Santa Ana winds..lol....I wasn't playing with fire or anything hehe I only lit them up when I was there, just to dissipate some of the moisture. And Dave those little golf balls did wonder last season..

NIkki
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   H Scott 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:20 AM

I've used that greenhouse for 4 years now and it saved my life this past winter. I put mine on the south side right up against the house. I weigh it down with blocks. You could use sand bags as well.
http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq33/HELIOSCOTT_01/IMG_3698.jpg
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users