• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inexpensive Greenhouses Outdoor Edge Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   pammlla 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

My husband Mario worked very hard all weekend on getting my greenhouse all set up. He did a super job! I uploaded some photo's and made a slideshow. I've never posted one of these before so please let me know if you have problems with the link. I think you just click the picture below to see it.

Some things he did to make it more secure against the winds:
Attached the floor framing of 2x4's to steel cement stakes with bolts. Used weed stop fabric under the filling of gravel. It has 4 inches of gravel floor. Set larger stepping stones under each foot of the frame for stability. created internal stakes by using rope around the supports and attached to the 2x4's. Set bricks around outside lower tent flaps.

He also created a full set of plant benches for me out of the 2x4s and bricks. I think they turned out very nice. I can also build up on them if I need more shelves (taller etc).

http://s335.photobucket.com/albums/m451/hawaii2008yea/Greenhouse%20Oct%202010/th_Grnhse_Clearing.jpg

Pam

#17 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:The beach, traveling, gardening, watercolor painting, cooking, and of course, plumerias

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

I just set up this portable greenhouse (purchased from Lowe's) a few days ago, just in time before the rain hit my area. Somehow I was able to fit 23 potted plumerias inside of this 6'X5'X5' tent (1, 3 and 5 gallons, a couple of them quite large). This has 2 doors, 1 at each end. Each door has 2 layers (a screen and a door, each with its own zipper). To be safe I tied 1 side of the tent to the 2 patio posts. Will be getting bricks to put weight on the skirt around the bottom (already have a few sitting on the other side of the tent). The tent seems like a good design, as both doors can be opened to allow air circulation when needed. I can already tell that this will not be enough by next year, as I've just got another 6 plants this weekend, have another plant and 40 seeds on the way... Maybe next year I'll just drape plastic over the wood patio cover and make the whole thing a greenhouse!
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz276/beachanytime/PLUMERIAS/IMG_5766.jpg
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   jag 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:20 PM

One of the things I like about yours is the fact that the roofs are curved. I would caution anyone buying a a straight pitched roof like one that is sold on EBAY. The one I had had a triangular staight pitched roof. The plastic cover has some give and when it rained, the roof would form a basin beginning at the top side frame where the roof begins to pitch and the weight of the water created a lot of stress on the frames causing some to break.

When that plastic gives and fills with water, that is a lot of weight that accumulates. I would have to constantly drain the water from the roof because I was afraid it would collapse. It was not fun doing this during a long cold rain.
Joe

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   ijplume 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

I just bought the same one at Lowe's as in Beachanytime's photo. It's small, but should do for the few plants I want to put it in over the winter. I was glad to see on the package that it has two doors as online it just says one door, and I was anticipating cutting a "window" in the plastic. It's size is 5' x 5' x 6.5 (tall). Price was $89 ... cheaper than online. Irene

#20 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:The beach, traveling, gardening, watercolor painting, cooking, and of course, plumerias

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:55 PM

Glad to hear you got one at Lowe's, Irene. Mine has been up a few days now, held up pretty well through heavy rain. The pitched roof was great; like Joe said, it helps that the rain doesn't have a place to collect on the roof. I thought the details were thoughtful, like the zipped door and screen that can be zipped from the top or bottom, the extra shade cloth that can be added to the top if there is to much sun. It's a great buy for the price I think.
Are you putting any lights inside? The plastic is kind of opaque, unlike clear plastic which allows more light in. I've put 3 strands of xmas lights inside, but the thermometer didn't show any increase in temperature, so I have no clue how many xmas lights need to be in there to make a difference. I noticed there's no place where to hook the lights strands. I had to tape them to the "X" frame.
Posted Image

#21 User is offline   ijplume 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

I probably won't put the greenhouse up to till mid November as I need to do some rearranging first. I haven't decided on the lights. A lot of the lights on the market are LED and they don't give off much heat. I would need to track down some old-fashioned Christmas tree lights or use some incandescent lights for heat. Irene

#22 User is offline   jackie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:God, Grandkids, beaches, plumerias and tropicals, animals, photography,kayaking.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Pam I really like your greenhouse.. You and your husband did a really good job on it.
Lucky you! And beachanytime's is a very nice one too.. Lowes sells good quality stuff.
And like all of you we can get heavy winds up here during spring thru autumn seasons.
But I would need a really sturdy one with heat for winter. We get lots of snow, like five feet
of it. Although I would love to have one to use in the spring to extend my growing season.
I think I'll look into the one from Lowes. Maybe they are on sale up here now..

#23 User is offline   dynagirl 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Rollerblading, sewing, cooking, Plumeria's.

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:21 PM

I have made MANY alterations to my greenhouse over the years. Had heavy winds when I first got it and thought that it was gonna blow down the street like a balloon.
I have mine on cement by the pool so I couldn't anchor it to the ground so I filled 1 gallon pots with cement and put the poles in them.
Here is an older pic showing the door we built : I also added wood trim to the sides and the bottom to keep the wind from coming in.
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/dynagirl1964/Greenhouse/DSC05724.jpg

In the winter I put a second cover on it of the clear plastic purchased from walmart or home depot. I used a 6ml. plastic this year to keep it warmer. $20. I also use a heater that has the option of 400watts or 800watts, with a built in timer and a safety feature if it falls over. Got it for around $50. I use a large heat mat with a thermostat. I put it on top of a large baking rack on wheels, they are like metal shelves. I also have two light bulbs that are used for growing and one for blooming. I hang them from the top of the bars. They were less than $5 a piece on ebay.
My greenhouse is under my large plumeria trees so it helps protect them, keep them warm and they also benefit from the grow lights. The last couple of years I have noticed that the seed pods I am getting are right above the middle of the greenhouse where the light is.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users