• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Preserving Flowers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

Has anyone here ever preserved plumeria flowers, so that they keep their color. And if so, how did you do it?
Thanks
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Sunny Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Church and Family activities, reading, gardening, and of course.... growing plumeria... my latest "hobby".

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:00 PM

Good question Hetty... waiting to here an answer...anyone???

Linda :)

Posted Image

J 105

#3 User is offline   jag 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:49 PM

I have never tried it with a plumeria, but I remember my children doing a project in school where they dried pansies by putting them between the pages of a thick book and leaving them there for a certain period of time.
Joe

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:34 AM

I think those of us 'of a certain age' have all dried flowers in books. Unfortunately it fades the colors. I am interested in preserving the color of the bloom.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Plumeria Maiden 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hi Hetty,
I have never dried Plumeria flowers because I have never been blessed with flowers as of yet, but have dried cut flowers using Silica Gel to preserve flowers. It's a Drying Agent and their colors stay just as beautiful as they were when they were fresh... it's pretty easy to do.... just Cover the bottom of your Tupperware with 1" Silica Gel and Place the flowers face up, don't let them touch one another, then Completely and gently cover the whole flower with Silica Gel. Seal your Tupperware and Leave it undisturbed for 7-10 days. then very carefully remove the gel you can use a small paint brush, or a q-tip to remove any remaining Silica from all the little crevices of your flower. Afterward spray a little acrylic on the flower to seal them up...be sure to spray both front and back and let them dry completely before handling them, the acrylic will also help them from breaking.

another way you could try is your microwave ...place the flowers on a paper towel be sure there not touching one another and only put them in for a few sec at a time and check them. though a microwave may change the color a bit. also you might try quickly dipping in paraffin wax to give a light coating of wax. but I think the Silica Gel working the best ...the fall back is it's not as quick as your microwave.
hope this helps.
Posted Image
God Bless and Keep You

#6 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:50 AM

Thanks, I'm going to try this!
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Plumeria Maiden 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

Please post picture Hetty, as I would love to see how the silica gel works on plumeria
Posted Image
God Bless and Keep You

#8 User is offline   jag 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hetty, this was my week to volunteer at Windrush, a public garden here in Baton Rouge, and I asked the curator about drying flowers. She also suggested selica gel and said she thought you could buy kits at Hobby Lobby or simlar crafts outlets.
Joe

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Rastabacko13 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

I have alwasy thought that I may be able to set them in a resin block- do it with invertebrates like spiders etc, and they dont lose their colour.
the world is a vampire................

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2011 - 02:27 AM

Thank you both. Actually preserving in a resin block would look great (and REALLY preserve them) but I have no idea how to work with resin, I will check out the silica gel soon at my local Michaels.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   TropicalPhilly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Video Games, Computers, Puppies, Arts & Crafts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:17 PM

I've worked with an epoxy resin before, a friend had saved all the beer-bottle caps from his entire college career where he lived near a bar that had a beer-night every Wednesday, so a collection of a lot of different brands and types, and as a gift I glued his collection to the top of a coffee table and poured the resin epoxy overtop it, so there is about a half-inch layer of clear resin over the caps. They have it at Home Depot, it's a kit, you could probably make a little mold out of cardboard and pour some in, let it set, put the flower in, and then pour more over top. Ideally it would set into a nice little coaster or paperweight or what have you, with a plumeria inside!

I have no idea if the flower would survive being drenched in epoxy, but I don't see why it wouldn't? I'll have to google it!

EDIT: Looks like a lot of the sites suggest you dry the flower before setting it in resin. Still worth a shot though. If I had blooms I'd try it, since the stuff I used was not expensive so it wouldn't be a total loss :)

This is the stuff I used: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000PEGLBS

#12 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:25 AM

Thanks! I am procrastinating on this.... I should get my act together before bloom season is over.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users