Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Do You Mend A Broken Branch? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The beach, traveling, gardening, watercolor painting, cooking, and of course, plumerias

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:34 AM

Hello!
I need somebody's advice on what to do with a large branch I just received.
It is a variety I like a lot and have been so anxious to get. Finally got a large perfect cutting, 24" including 2 long tips (9" each). But... it arrived broken in the middle, because the box it came in was rather thin and was bent in half in the middle.
The branch did not totally break into 2 pieces. Rather, it was bent (like you can bend an elbow). I can see that the inside part of the elbow is crushed - that is what allows the branch to be bent (but the bottom part doesn't feel wobbly, it doesn't feel like it is going to detach).
I'm reluctant to cut off the bottom part at the bend, because this is such a nice cutting just the size that I wanted.

If I don't cut off the bottom part at the bend, and try to root the branch as is, would that crushed part in the branch weaken its growth and produce a poor plant? Also, what should I do about the vertical split in the trunk (at the bend)?

If I do cut off the bottom part at the bend, the piece that is left would have a very short trunk - only 4" to the part where the 2 long tips come out. Would that present any risk of rot (since most of that trunk is going to be in soil).

Any suggestion would be very appreciated.
Here is a picture of the branch.
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2055/pix2s.jpg
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   ijplume 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:50 AM

If it were my cutting, I would tie the damaged area with electrical tape, then tie a stake onto the cutting to keep the area stable. It's sort of like a "graft." Irene

quote name='Beachanytime' timestamp='1310657697' post='27348']
Hello!
I need somebody's advice on what to do with a large branch I just received.
It is a variety I like a lot and have been so anxious to get. Finally got a large perfect cutting, 24" including 2 long tips (9" each). But... it arrived broken in the middle, because the box it came in was rather thin and was bent in half in the middle.
The branch did not totally break into 2 pieces. Rather, it was bent (like you can bend an elbow). I can see that the inside part of the elbow is crushed - that is what allows the branch to be bent (but the bottom part doesn't feel wobbly, it doesn't feel like it is going to detach).
I'm reluctant to cut off the bottom part at the bend, because this is such a nice cutting just the size that I wanted.

If I don't cut off the bottom part at the bend, and try to root the branch as is, would that crushed part in the branch weaken its growth and produce a poor plant? Also, what should I do about the vertical split in the trunk (at the bend)?

If I do cut off the bottom part at the bend, the piece that is left would have a very short trunk - only 4" to the part where the 2 long tips come out. Would that present any risk of rot (since most of that trunk is going to be in soil).

Any suggestion would be very appreciated.
Here is a picture of the branch.
http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/2055/pix2s.jpg
[/quote]

#3 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:The beach, traveling, gardening, watercolor painting, cooking, and of course, plumerias

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Thanks Irene!
Would you do anything to the split that is shown in the picture? Does it need to be sealed first?

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   ijplume 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

Often caulk is used to plug a hole if there's been rot in there (and the rot has been scooped out), but in this case, I wouldn't use the latex. I would be hoping that the internal parts of the branch would knit back together. Maybe someone else has another idea?

#5 User is offline   Lakers3221 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

Doesn't look all that bad to me. Tape it up and root it
There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness.

#6 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

Thanks to you both! I will tape it up and root it :-)
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Shadow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

Ouch

Use a splint on each side of the stem to make a brace.
I use flexible wire to wrap round & round 6 in above & below the break.
a stick on each side stabilizes it

When you plant it also use a stake to keep it from moving hopefully it will mend.

I find if you seperate these two weight of the cutting in the ground does nopt apply pressure to the mended part

Good Luck
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:21 AM

Thanks Shadow. I have it well secured and planted. Hope it heals and produces a strong plant. What it has going for it is: it is a large cutting so should have more life force in it to try and heal.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users