Plumeria Forum: Too Much On Ebay - Plumeria Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too Much On Ebay Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   penelopetx 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Scouting, Plumeria, Pecan Trees, Peach Trees, Herbs and Vegetables. I will let you know how they are doing......

Posted 30 September 2011 - 12:39 PM

There is a Plumeria called JL Hawaiian Fire on Ebay right now going for $499.99 it is rooted, but GOOD GRIEF! How can someone ask so much for a Plumeria. It is beautiful, but SERIOUSLY????

Penelopetx

#2 User is offline   plumania 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening ,fragrant plants,Plumeria, Roses and too many other 'interests' to list here.

Posted 30 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Outrageous. Who knows,there may be someone with that much money dying to have that particular variety. B)
I have seen much higher prices before, close to a thousand dollar.
Here is another one in the range you were talking about, I think this is from Jim Little (author of the book so many of us have) or his relatives.From what I know, it's scent is not that great.This variety is highly desirable to some, for the colors.
This seller is quite popular as far as I know. But still...-
http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1251wt_1270
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   penelopetx 

• Pip
  • Interests:Scouting, Plumeria, Pecan Trees, Peach Trees, Herbs and Vegetables. I will let you know how they are doing......

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:36 PM

I have bought from him, he is a great seller. I have never seen something this high - I've watched an Amarron's Curly go over $100 (back in the day!), but $500.00 WOW! :blink:

Thanks for posting the link - I rarely get on here so I am not as good as I am on other venues...

Penelopetx.

#4 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

Jim Little - by his own admission - would rather not sell things than have them become 'common'.....
All this means is that someone with deep pockets will buy it, and once it's out of his hands, well, they can do anything they want with it. I think it's a silly practice. Sooner or later these too will be available to the every day collector.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Sunny Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Church and Family activities, reading, gardening, and of course.... growing plumeria... my latest "hobby".

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:07 PM

Yup... that's Matt who sells Jim Little's Plumeria.... Hetty has it right... WAYYYYY to much for me...lol

Linda :)

Posted Image

J 105

#6 User is offline   Wei Tianmin 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

View Postpenelopetx, on 30 September 2011 - 12:39 PM, said:

There is a Plumeria called JL Hawaiian Fire on Ebay right now going for $499.99 it is rooted, but GOOD GRIEF! How can someone ask so much for a Plumeria. It is beautiful, but SERIOUSLY????

Penelopetx

A few years ago an unrooted cutting of JL Metallica sold on eBay for over $600. I couldn't believe anyone would pay that much.

Tim

#7 User is offline   Bradsbudsandblooms 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Tropical plants, and anything to do with Germany(or Germanic countries) or German history!

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

I have Doric Allison and frankly, it reminds me a lot of the regular "Allison", except the blooms are quite a bit larger and can, with right conditions, be more orange. It seems to be one of those with what I call a "thin" inflo---tends to produce a long inflo with individual stems of flower clusters--that does not make a large round bunch of flowers. Instead it produces small clusters that then fall off and you wait a bit for the next little cluster to open--etc... In our temps right now mine seems to have more of a reddish look to it instead of the bright orange shown in the EBay pics.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: doric allsion 9-11.jpg

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Shadow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

They are very pretty but so are alot of cvs

I guess he can set the price
but what irks me is for that amount of money he neglects to add the characteristics of the cv

such as

Bloom size
scent
Growth habit
:blink:
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:34 AM

Brad, I'm glad to read your observation. I got rid of Allison altogether because it just isn't a very pretty bloom to me. Now I know I don't need to lust after Doric!
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:The beach, traveling, gardening, watercolor painting, cooking, and of course, plumerias

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

Anything rare commands higher prices, and it seems to be JL's strategy. However, today there are so many hybrids that are so spectacular that there is really no reason to pay $499 for any variety. I know I'm not paying $499 for any plumeria no matter how much I like it! There will always be something better that will come along for a much lower price!
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Sunny Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Church and Family activities, reading, gardening, and of course.... growing plumeria... my latest "hobby".

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

I agree Beach.....

Linda :)

Posted Image

J 105

#12 User is offline   malestrom 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Flowers, Fishing, Outdoors, Animals, Making Friends, Reptiles, Dogs, Rescuing animals. Computer Repairs, Networking Computers and people, Teaching

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Its all relative to the depth of your pocket and what you want.
I have clients who cry poorhouse when i bill them for a plaster repair and repaint of a ceiling, yet they pay $200.- for a hairdo and a maini pedi cure.
Its all relative.
The joke sadly is on them when the thai dealers do a tissue culture and clone one like metallica then flood the market with $30.- grafts of it.
Equally sad to the folks whos pockets arent deep whod hoped to recoup their investment, they now eat their loss.
Posted Image
SPRING IS HERE!! WOO-HOO!!!

TIME TO REVIVE THE CLAN AND SHOW EM OFF!!

PAKALA HAS 4 INFLOS ALREADY!! WOOT!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users