Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hello Again! a bit of a sob story..

#1 User is offline   psychsurf 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hi everyone, I haven't been around for a couple of years now. I wasn't terribly active when I was here before, but I KNOW I was more active than my post count reflects... Are old posts automatically deleted or something? Or maybe my free membership status is involved somehow? I remember trading out a number of seedlings here, talking about stumbling across a mystery seed pod, showing the germination process, etc... Weird.

At any rate I'm back and building my collection again. Why "again" you ask? Excellent question! You see, the price I had to pay to get away from a vindictive and immature ex was pretty much everything I valued, including my small (15+ and growing) but still cherished plumie collection. It was worth it, of course, but now that I'm in a much better place (in EVERY way!) I'm working again on surrounding myself with some therapeutic foliage. I got some of my best and most interesting plants here before, so I thought it would be worthwhile to put a feeler out to see if anyone might help me a little with the rebuilding process. Certainly not looking for charity, but I also can't afford the $20 cuttings I see listed online and on ebay. Drop me a PM if you think you can help me.

Here's looking forward to getting back into it!

#2 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:20 AM

Glad to see you are in a better place. I am sure your collection will grow...
The site was the victim of a hacker-attack a while back and everything was deleted up to that point, which is why you won't find your old posts. So maybe you will have to introduce yourself all over again!
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   elucas101 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

I'm just starting over again too (winter loss a few years ago) so I don't have any cuttings to offer, but keep looking, there are some great deals to be had here and there! I saw a 3 tip Celadine for like $14-$15 including shipping! Many other single tip offers for less. And I agree, it's a very theraputic hobby!

#4 User is offline   psychsurf 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

Well I can certainly see why hackers would target a plumeria website! :angry:

Probably just as well I can't go back and see photos of my old plants anyway.

#5 User is offline   psychsurf 

• Pip

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:02 PM

Ok then, so a little about me (reintroduction)...

I was born in Alaska and was first introduced to plumeria on the Big Island of Hawaii when my dad decided to move there during my 5th and 6th grade years in school. I didn't realize just how amazing it was at the time, but there was an absolutely huge plumeria tree in the backyard. by huge, I mean my stepbrother and I used to climb in it! Truly a specimen! We were high up the hill on the kona side, and didn't have AC in the house, so when we'd open the slats in the windows to let the breeze in at night, the house would be filled with that gorgeous plumeria scent.

I have been living in Corpus Christi since 2002, interestingly enough by way of the big island again, this time from the Hilo side where I was going to school. Again, lots of exposure to plumeria, those olfactory memory pathways getting burnt into place.

I decided to bring some more into my life starting in 2008. I found cuttings where I could locally, from friends, from the South Texas botanical garden, and from the internet of course. My best named cuttings came from this very site (I recall Kauka Wilder, Sally Morange, Nebel's rainbow... more I can't recall) although I had to leave them behind before I got to see most of them bloom. The ones I was really excited to see bloom were the seeds I rescued at the botanical gardens just as the wind was about the spread them far and wide. they were all about 10" tall last I saw them. But like I said, I kind of had to leave them behind for a very good cause. The real shame is, my ex never gave a damn about my plumerias. :(

So, fast forward to now, I'm still in Corpus, have a new baby boy, and I'm thinking of the things that make me happy that I'd like to share with him one day. A backyard full of pretty and nice-smelling blooms is one of them. So I'll be working on that. :D

#6 User is offline   elucas101 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Good for you for turning a negative into a positive! And also a good thing you aren't attempting to grow plumies in Alaska :lol: I know what you mean about the olfactory connection to the plumies, I was fortunate enough to spend some lovely years as a kid in Hawaii as well and the smell really brings me back. I've gotten all of my cuttings except 1 from MPG because they are always so awesome and healthy and the shipping is fast! Happy growing!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users