• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cuttings Put In The Ground....issue Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   SoFlaNewB 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

My First Post.....and i know NOTHING about growing plumerias
I fell in love with the plumeria and got a hold of 8 cuttings that are all 16-18 inches with what looked to be great leaf growth (5-8 on each plant,big and green)....the lady tells me that they should be planted in the ground soon...in those plastic containers (3 gal?) she had 2 plants in 1 and 4 in another
i come home, dig my holes, place 3-4 big hand scoops of miracle grow potting soil mix in each hole, place a cutting in each hole, cover it with the soil from the hole and water them all really well. 3 days later the leaves are turning yellow from the bottoms up. I also noticed that there were little bugs, maybe ants, on a few of the plants- so i sprayed some insecticide on them.
the very tips of a few of the plants are a deep purple, almost black...just a tad bit where the new growth should be as well
i really dont want them to die on me

again- i dont know anything about these plants....so explain it to me like im 8- no offense will be taken
thank you so much for youre help!

Amy

#2 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:03 AM

Welcome Amy! I think I saw your post also on the PSA site.

Your plumeria sticks will lose all their leaves, this is nothing to worry about. Leave them where they are and don't bother them. Do not water them either. Although they will probably get rained on but if they are in well draining soil (like our Florida sand) that will drain.
Heat is what will make your cuttings root, not water.
Once you see new leaves starting to form, you can assume they have rooted and then you can treat them as plants.
If you'd like to post a picture that will surely help.

Good luck and happy growing!
PS where in Florida are you?
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   plumania 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening ,fragrant plants,Plumeria, Roses and too many other 'interests' to list here.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

Good advise by Hetty.She is a true expert.

In my case,and I have limited experience, I usually do not plant in ground that early.I keep mine in containers for couple of years so they develop nice roots and if they get tall enough (after at least 1 branching but generally at least 3 feet tall)I put them in ground. I mix Miracle grow garden soil(or any brand) with some compost and native soil(almost equal amounts)when putting them in ground.
All my containers have mix of potting soil and compost anyway.
If I had more than 1 cutting in a pot, I separate them when they seem to start crowding (usually less than 2 feet)and then pot them up separately and wait for them to get strong in their own pots before planting in ground.
Seedlings were a different story, they had extensive roots when young and I put them all in ground when they were about 18-24 inch tall. They withstood winters here without problem and now growing nicely.

I think sudden transition for a small plant with small root system can sometimes affect them.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   SoFlaNewB 

• PipPip

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thank you very much for your quick reply!

I live in west palm beach- on the boarder of loxahatche (the acreage)
and you are right, i did make a post asking for help on the PSA site before i was given the OK to post here

ok so basically they are just mad they were moved and now are "stressed"....i read a few different things, like they do need ferilized, they dont need it, you need to give them epson salts biweekly.....and there there are the people who swear you just stick them in dirt and let them go- they are very self sustaining and resilient. Its hard to know who is right.

I posted a couple pictures, one of the tip that has a deep purple color (is that normal)
and one of the plant- which makes me feel beter since the yellow isnt as bad as a day before but there are a couple dead leaves that fell off each plant.

again thank you so so much for the response and being so warm- and bear with me and my "stupid" questions.....i truly am out of my league but am doing my best to learn :) with the help of this site of course

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: _MG_6236.JPG
  • Attached Image: _MG_6238.JPG

#5 User is offline   jag 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:05 PM

I would add one comment to what everyone said. You mentioned that you put 3-4 big hand scoops of miracle grow potting soil mix in each hole. Sometimes it is better to use the same soil you dug out of the hole to plant the plant. At the very least, mix some of the original soil that you dug out with the new soil you are adding.

In our area, we have clay soil and if you dig a hole and then fill it with a more porous soil, the water will collect and stay in that hole because the surrounding clay drains much slower. What happens is that the roots drown from lack of oxygen.

Hetty mentioned that soil in your area is sand. I would agree with her telling you not to water. Potting soil has a lot of organic matter that retains moisture and that can lead to the cutting rotting if it doesn't have time to dry out dry out.
Joe

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   SoFlaNewB 

• PipPip

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:20 AM

thank you very much....i was worried about that myself after reading further. Should i chance it and dig them back up- remove some of the soil and re-burry them? I can only assume what stress they are under now- will only worsen if i do that, no?

#7 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:12 AM

Oh here I go again :rolleyes:

In the immortal words of Yolanda: leave them alone and go bother something else for a while...... ;)

They don't look bad at all!
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   SoFlaNewB 

• PipPip

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

:) Noted.....i do have enough other things to keep me busy and preoccupied
thanks again Ma'am

#9 User is offline   Sunny Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Church and Family activities, reading, gardening, and of course.... growing plumeria... my latest "hobby".

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hi Amy and welcome... Hetty knows her stuff... just leave them alone and be patient...keep us posted.

Linda :)

Posted Image

J 105

#10 User is offline   SoFlaNewB 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

Curious question....i know i only planted these just over a month ago, but when would they produce flowers? I'll just assume next spring?
More related to the original topic, NONE of the plants lost all their leaves (just the bottom 3 or 4) :D

#11 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

Most plumeria seedlings do not flower until their third year. Occasionally it is sooner, and often it is later...
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   SoFlaNewB 

• PipPip

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

but these are from cuttings.....still same time frame?

#13 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:30 AM

Cuttings can bloom the first year.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   SoFlaNewB 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

thank you very much ma'am

#15 User is offline   Shadow 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostDutchlady, on 22 June 2012 - 02:12 AM, said:

Oh here I go again :rolleyes:

In the immortal words of Yolanda: leave them alone and go bother something else for a while...... ;)

They don't look bad at all!

Was just thinking of Yolanda.
She water rooted.

It works for me pretty well but maybe not so good for over 1 inch diamter cuttings.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users