Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Could This One Be? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mushrooms 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:48 AM

I bought this from HD in California. The first flower was about a couple of weeks ago and smelled like coconut+gardenia. Now the subsequent flowers have a sweet condensed-milk aroma, a little caramel-ish maybe. Any idea what this could be?

http://i.imgur.com/vvvG6.jpg?1
http://i.imgur.com/SJ9jv.jpg?1
This was the first flower of the inflo and I think it captures the color a little better.
http://i.imgur.com/D71Wv.jpg

#2 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:The beach, traveling, gardening, watercolor painting, cooking, and of course, plumerias

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

Congratulations! You're so lucky! It's a beautiful flower. How come I never see anything like that at HD :-)
The last picture looks very much like Wildfire, especially the veins radiating from the yellow center. But considering the fact that you got it at HD, I doubt that HD carries Wildfire. The flower also looks like Princesa Maya from C-Stars. My own notes about scent from the blooms on my plant last year was "peachy".
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   mushrooms 

• PipPip

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

Thanks so much Beachanytime. I really appreciate you answering this, I had posted on another forum and had no direct reply.

I guess I was super lucky. They were sold as rooted cuttings in burlap pouches for around $7 in the indoor section and were hidden under a table! Most of them looked miserable, but I noticed this one had a dark red inflo coming out and I was hoping to get a Scott Pratt, but this is so lovely (especially that scent) that I feel like I can forget about Scott Pratt.

I searched for the name and seems like this variety isn't too popular. I did come across one photo and it looks like it could really be Princess Maya; The leaves have the same shape too.
Thanks!

#4 User is offline   Sunny Plumeria 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Church and Family activities, reading, gardening, and of course.... growing plumeria... my latest "hobby".

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Wow... that's gorgeous!! Lucky find.

Congrats.

Linda :)

Posted Image

J 105

#5 User is offline   printmaster 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:God, Family, Golf, Hunting, and Horticulture.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Very pretty.

#6 User is offline   mushrooms 

• PipPip

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thanks for the comments!
Now, I know this may make me sound crazy, but its starting to develop a fruity smell among that condensed milk smell. Am I really crazy? There are no other flowers next to it besides some cosmos. Has any plumeria been known to change their scent?

#7 User is offline   Jandey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Beautiful red! What a great find.

My plumeria change scents as they age, or as the weather conditions change. Not unusual.

Jen

#8 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:The beach, traveling, gardening, watercolor painting, cooking, and of course, plumerias

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

View Postmushrooms, on 07 August 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Thanks for the comments!
Now, I know this may make me sound crazy, but its starting to develop a fruity smell among that condensed milk smell. Am I really crazy? There are no other flowers next to it besides some cosmos. Has any plumeria been known to change their scent?

Fruity smell is what mine smelled like (peachy). It's not unusual to smell different scents at different times on plumerias; don't know if it is my nose or the flowers changing scents themselves. Except for certain kinds that don't ever change their scents like Thornton Lemon Drop or Penang Peach, California Sunset, I've had problems pin-pointing the scent on many of my plants. My JJ Whirlwind sometimes smell floral, but some days the flowers smell just like lychees!
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users