Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Golden Pagoda? Or Not? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The beach, traveling, gardening, watercolor painting, cooking, and of course, plumerias

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

My Golden Pagoda finally opened its first bloom today! It's been a wait of about a year and half!
It is a beautiful flower, 3.5" wide with thick petals...but I'm not sure if it is Golden Pagoda? Wonder if I've been bamboozled by the seller?
There is no noticeable scent so far, and the leaves are very thick almost like those on a rubber tree.
Any of you who have Golden Pagoda that has bloomed, would you opine about the look? Have yours ever looked like this, especially when the flowers first opened?
Thanks!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz276/beachanytime/PLUMERIAS/goldenpagoda1.jpg
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   LUVPLUMIE 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Contributing Member
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends, Plumeria and all the
    amazing things life has to offer.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostBeachanytime, on 13 August 2012 - 12:14 AM, said:

My Golden Pagoda finally opened its first bloom today! It's been a wait of about a year and half!
It is a beautiful flower, 3.5" wide with thick petals...but I'm not sure if it is Golden Pagoda? Wonder if I've been bamboozled by the seller?
There is no noticeable scent so far, and the leaves are very thick almost like those on a rubber tree.
Any of you who have Golden Pagoda that has bloomed, would you opine about the look? Have yours ever looked like this, especially when the flowers first opened?
Thanks!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz276/beachanytime/PLUMERIAS/goldenpagoda1.jpg

Sorry to say but does not look like Golden Pagoda
at all. Even when mine bloomed for the first time
as a newly rooted plant it bloomed a very small bloom
but it looked like a Golden Pagoda.

Even the colors do not look right...hope I'm wrong.

You might want to contact the seller..

#3 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:The beach, traveling, gardening, watercolor painting, cooking, and of course, plumerias

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

View PostLUVPLUMIE, on 13 August 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Thanks!

Thank you Gabby! I will send the seller an email, but I would be very surprised if I get any answer from him. I will post a follow-up on this.

I got this plant and another one on the same visit to this seller about a year and half ago, because I was in the area visiting Jungle Jacks and he was just down the street. I called ahead of time letting him know what I was looking for (Golden Pagoda and Butterfly Gold). When I got there, he had already pulled some plants out, among them a Golden Pagoda (at least that's what the marker said). He didn't have a Butterfly Gold but told me the Som Chanigka, which he did have, is the same as Butterfly Gold. At the time, I was still a newbie and didn't know any better, so I took his word for it (his name is Andy if I remember right). Once I got home, I googled Som Chanigka and found out that it is not the same as Butterfly Gold. Because of that, I am leary about the "Golden Pagoda".

Had I been a little more experienced at the time, I would have researched him before buying from him, and would have found out that there were tons of bad reviews on him. Oh well, the price I paid for being a newbie, and a trusting one at that.
This is the marker on my Golden Pagoda plant (both sides). Now I'm curious to know what the "Som Chanigka" flower will look like!!!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz276/beachanytime/PLUMERIAS/MARKER.jpg
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   LUVPLUMIE 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Contributing Member
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends, Plumeria and all the
    amazing things life has to offer.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostBeachanytime, on 13 August 2012 - 10:54 PM, said:

View PostLUVPLUMIE, on 13 August 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Thanks!

Thank you Gabby! I will send the seller an email, but I would be very surprised if I get any answer from him. I will post a follow-up on this.

I got this plant and another one on the same visit to this seller about a year and half ago, because I was in the area visiting Jungle Jacks and he was just down the street. I called ahead of time letting him know what I was looking for (Golden Pagoda and Butterfly Gold). When I got there, he had already pulled some plants out, among them a Golden Pagoda (at least that's what the marker said). He didn't have a Butterfly Gold but told me the Som Chanigka, which he did have, is the same as Butterfly Gold. At the time, I was still a newbie and didn't know any better, so I took his word for it (his name is Andy if I remember right). Once I got home, I googled Som Chanigka and found out that it is not the same as Butterfly Gold. Because of that, I am leary about the "Golden Pagoda".

Had I been a little more experienced at the time, I would have researched him before buying from him, and would have found out that there were tons of bad reviews on him. Oh well, the price I paid for being a newbie, and a trusting one at that.
This is the marker on my Golden Pagoda plant (both sides). Now I'm curious to know what the "Som Chanigka" flower will look like!!!

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz276/beachanytime/PLUMERIAS/MARKER.jpg

Yikes; looks like the tag was marked twice.

Errors do happen..I would contact him, if he does not
have a Golden Pagoda maybe he could refund you half of what
you paid and you keep this plant (it is rather nice).

If he is a good seller he will make it right..

Good luck have been in your shoes several times and it's not a good feeling :angry: .

#5 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

"If he's a good seller" :-(
I did send him an email yesterday, let's see if he will answer.
I did notice the marker being re-used, at the time I was thinking he was just recycling his used markers, but now I'm wondering.
Anyway, a second bloom opened today and it is a very beautiful flower (at least it helps soften the blow) I just don't know what it is or if it ever had a name. The texture is very thick, similar to that of the J105. Just a very slight spicy scent on this second bloom.

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz276/beachanytime/PLUMERIAS/goldenpagoda2.jpg
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   plumania 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening ,fragrant plants,Plumeria, Roses and too many other 'interests' to list here.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Beach, it resembles your siggy but lighter in color......may be I am just imagining.
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

OMG, Alka! You have a good eye!!! Thank you!
My siggy is JJ's Jackie, and I didn't think about that because in my mind Jackie has pointed rolled petals ("temple" look, like... Golden Pagoda!!!). OMG, the light just came on!!!
Jackie is not blooming for me this year, but I went to my Jackie folder looking for pictures from last year (there are tons!) and I was blown away by this particular one. Look at the lighter bloom.

Going back to my non-Golden-Pagoda plant....There was a name on the marker before "Golden Pagoda" was written over it. LOL!!! I think the pieces are fitting together now, at least for me.

JACKIE:
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz276/beachanytime/PLUMERIAS/Jackie.jpg
MY "GOLDEN PAGODA" FROM A.T.:
http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz276/beachanytime/PLUMERIAS/goldenpagoda2.jpg

My siggy:
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   plumania 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening ,fragrant plants,Plumeria, Roses and too many other 'interests' to list here.

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:06 AM

That is funny. Happens to me too. :lol:
And if you look close at that tag, it does seem to have 'ACK' on it. :blink:
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

LOL You should be a detective, Alka! This was bugging me so much that early this morning I went looking for my Jackie, and luckily she is still in my yard (I have moved some plants to friends/family's yard preparing for the upcoming moves, so glad I didn't move Jackie!)OMG the leaves are exactly the same, big, thick, wavy and crinkly!!! So now I only need to wait for the next buds to open to get a 100% confirmation of the identity.
Well, I can tell you 2 things:
1) I'm relieved he didn't give me a Celadine marked "Golden Pagoda". After all Jackie is pretty expensive too.
2) I'm angry about the dishonesty. If he didn't have Golden Pagoda and Butterfly Gold, he should have told me that, instead of bamboozling me into buying 2 plants that are neither.
Now I have to search again for a real Golden Pagoda :-(
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   kaz171 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

I see this guy every year at the hawaiian festivals. Haole guy named Alan or Andy... He always has JJ plumies....actually pretty good stock. I bought an Ylang Ylang plant from him a few yrs ago. It lost all its leaves over the winter. he said they'd grow back - they never did. $50 down the toilet. Never bought anything since. He will be at the E Hula Mau festival in Long Beach (or at least he usually is) if he doesn't respond to you.

http://ehulamau.org/namamo.php

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   Beachanytime 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:01 PM

View Postkaz171, on 15 August 2012 - 12:14 PM, said:

I see this guy every year at the hawaiian festivals. Haole guy named Alan or Andy... He always has JJ plumies....actually pretty good stock. I bought an Ylang Ylang plant from him a few yrs ago. It lost all its leaves over the winter. he said they'd grow back - they never did. $50 down the toilet. Never bought anything since. He will be at the E Hula Mau festival in Long Beach (or at least he usually is) if he doesn't respond to you.

http://ehulamau.org/namamo.php

Kaz, I'm not sure I want to see this guy in person again!
As of today, no response!
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users