• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too Late For Water Rooting? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Carter LA 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hello everyone,
I rooted a four foot NOID cutting with three large branches and seven tips(it took over a year to leaf out) and it only started showing leaves in late July.
After that it was incredibly strong and grew almost six inches and filled it's pot in three months.
Well, something knocked it over and broke two branches (one with four tips) and I would really like to save this thing.
Is it too late to water root in Los Angeles?
All suggestions gratefully accepted!
Thanks

#2 User is offline   Carter LA 

• Pip

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Oh, I should have added that the main plant is still strong and doing well. I want to save the broken branches and root them. Hopefully in less than the year it took the main plant.
thanks again

#3 User is offline   plumania 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening ,fragrant plants,Plumeria, Roses and too many other 'interests' to list here.

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

No harm in trying but I would keep my expectations low since at this time of the year,these plants are not much in mood to grow.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   jag 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:39 PM

If you can buy crushed pine bark in your area,or something similar, I would bury it deeply in dried pine bark and over winter it. Do not water it, unless it desiccates and then I would only mist it, and try rooting it in the early spring. The bottom will callous over the winter and root more easily in the spring. It might even surprise you and root in the pine bark.
Joe

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Carter LA 

• Pip

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks Jag,
I've had mixed results with holding cuttings over winter.

#6 User is offline   Carter LA 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:01 AM

Hello All,
Well I decided to go ahead and try the water rooting method. I let the cutting dry out for a week and then I plopped it in an old plastic cup (medium size, nothing special) and placed it on the kitchen counter leaning on my refrigerator. I changed the water once and sometimes twice a week and watched to see what developed. During several of these water switches I put a tiny amount of super thrive in the water. I also used a fungicide to clean out the cup on several occasions as I observed a black filmy fungus forming. On one occasion I dipped the cutting's end in the cup with the fungicide mix (physon or some left over fung-away)and stirred it around several times and let it sit for a few minutes, I then wiped the portion of the cutting that was sitting in the water clean. This seemed to take care of the fungus issue. Over approximately four weeks the bottom inch of the cutting, where it was in the water, swoll up. During his time I saw no sign of any shrinking back of the tissue of the upper portion of the cutting. At a point between four and five weeks I made two holes in the bottom of the cup and filled the cup with cactus planting mix and planted the cutting in the cup. I watered the cup/pot thoroughly and after that I only provided a small amount of water weekly when I saw the mix was becoming very dry. I put the cutting, along with two others in a metal roasting pan that I placed on a small seed heat mat (this was probably not necessary but I felt I would give it a try). In mid December the first roots were observed at the bottom of the cup. These roots disappeared within a few days, though I believe this was the result of the roots resettling slightly above the planting mix after the next watering. By the last week of the month there were more roots observed in other places in the pot. At the end of January there were several long roots observed at several points on both the bottom and sides of the pot and the leaf claws had started to extend rapidly. Within a week of this movement the small leaves were two to three inches in length and one opened. On February 2nd I moved the cutting, which when removed from the original pot had a dozen or more thick roots, to a one gallon pot and secured it to a small stake as it was now leafing out quickly.
So......I like water rooting! Not something I'd want to do all the time but this cutting rooted in a few months and the parent plant took over a year and looked like it wasn't going to make it for much of that time.
To all who want to try this method I hope you are as lucky.

#7 User is offline   Jandey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:35 AM

Carter, that's very good to know. I've never tried it myself with a healthy cutting, just those that looked very dehydrated, but have never had success. I may give it another try.

Can you tell us which variety it was?

Thanks!

#8 User is offline   Carter LA 

• Pip

Posted 06 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

Its your basic No ID plumeria. I'm now starting some celadine cuttings that I got cheap at the local Plumeria Society last week to see if I can get them "jump" started.
Good Luck with yours!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users