• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I Need Some Advice? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I still have 30 or more plumeria, even though I got rid of all my plumeria. :) They have been in my living room all winter and most have inflos. We are 80/60 here for the next four days, then six days of 60/40. Do you think I can put my plants outside barring no more freezes? I wonder if it will kill the inflos. If they sit too much longer, the inflos are gonna fall off anyway.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

put em all outside. We'll see.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:47 AM

It's what I would have done. If you get an extra cool night maybe pull them close to the house.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   jag 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:13 PM

I don't think anything will happen to them. I have kept seven large plumerias that were too big to put in the green house outside with temperatures dropping down to 32. I just threw a blanket over them and they survived.

It is not as much the temperature as it is how long the temperature falls to a certain level. If you put a glass of water in the freezer, it takes a while before it will freeze. Also, when the days are longer and warmer, there is more residual heat radiating from the ground and surrounding areas.
Joe

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

View Postjag, on 19 March 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

I don't think anything will happen to them. I have kept seven large plumerias that were too big to put in the green house outside with temperatures dropping down to 32. I just threw a blanket over them and they survived.

It is not as much the temperature as it is how long the temperature falls to a certain level. If you put a glass of water in the freezer, it takes a while before it will freeze. Also, when the days are longer and warmer, there is more residual heat radiating from the ground and surrounding areas.

we're gonna be coming out of a record setting heat stretch (never been 90 degrees before in history this early) and the lowest they have forecast is 39 (and that briefly) so I imagine everything will be fine.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Jandey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

I've pretty much put everything out now, though you may be a bit colder there than me, Jay.

How is it possible that everyone else has inflos already and I don't? Of over 60 plants, I only have one with inflos, a big Thornton Lemon Drop! Everybody else lived in the house or garage, got the same treatment last year and thru winter but no inflos. Makes me wonder if I'm choosing poor bloomers, or am doing something wrong. :blink:

Jen

#7 User is offline   TropicalPhilly 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Video Games, Computers, Puppies, Arts & Crafts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 08:08 PM

I found that my un-opened blooms and eventually the inflos started to fall off easily as soon as it started to drop to 50 at night.

#8 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:28 AM

Jandey, I have 14 large inflos (this is Thai Firestorm). But Monday and Tuesday morning are forecast to be 37-39 depending on who you listen too, so we shall see. Some of the inflos are plumeria that haven't bloomed in a long time (orange/yellow pink from Momi Green in Hawaii, etc.) I might move all the inflos inside just in case.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k151/bing_photo/003-70_zps43c1ca83.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k151/bing_photo/002-114_zpsfd097ed3.jpg
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:35 AM

Showers / Clear
80 / 39
Mostly Sunny
61 / 34
Sunny (Clear)
58 / 33
Sunny (Clear)
61 / 39
Partly Cloudy
67 / 52
Next 5 days

They changed it again.
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:38 AM

I would indeed protect the ones with inflos, if I were you.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:14 AM

we moved everything back inside. It is soooo cold here, they feel like ice; even though the thermometer says 39. The only plants still outside are a Barbados Apricot Brandy from your seeds Hetty about ten feet high, and a DSP about five feet in diameter from Bob Jungle. I'm gonna wrap both of them in blankets.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

follow-up: 34 last night, wind blew over ten foot Barbados Apricot brandy with three branches last night and two branches broke. Pot shattered; moved bare root plant inside but probably no flower this year (again). oooppps.

edited to add all three branches had inflos; remaining branch split lengthwise
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   plumania 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Gardening ,fragrant plants,Plumeria, Roses and too many other 'interests' to list here.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:23 PM

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.
10 ft plant is not easy to manage....specially where I am. All these storms and hurricanes. I gave away lots of plants after keeping them for couple of year because once they get tall, I have to provide them shelter from wind.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   jag 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

March 15th is supposed to be the frost free date for Baton Rouge. Last night we dropped to 34 degrees, tonight we will go to 30,which will be the coldest night this season - we had a mild winter. Wednesday morning will be 33 and Thursday morning, 36. We have a high pressure area sitting just to the north of us.

Last week we were in the eighties. The azaleas are blooming, the trees are blossoming, and then this. I had taken out about a third of my plumerias and spent the day putting them back in the green house. I am off from school this week and thought I would have been able to get them all out and repot the ones that needed repotting. Funny how things don't always work out the way we plan.
Joe

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

Jay - why not graft the branches. Or even start rooting them; they should root easily this time of year and the inflos may hang on.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users