Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kauka Wilder Cutting...rooting. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FancyOrchid 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

[size="3"][/size]I'm rooting a cutting received from Maui Gardens(Kauka Wilder,it came already with a formed claw. Should I remove it from the cutting? I don't know how I'll be able to tell if it is rooting or not. All my other cuttings were bare, I'd know right away if they were rooting by the "shiny tip slowly developing into a claw. Should I, also, remove any inflo already formed? I've been rooting using the egg experiment, but I hear that Kauka Wilder is a tough plumeria to root. Pleeeease ...I need someone experienced with this type of plumeria to let me know a.s.a.p.!!!!
Always grateful,
>^..^<
Annamaria

#2 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:44 AM

Don't remove anything, put it in a warm place, leave it alone and have patience..... :)
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   FancyOrchid 

• PipPip

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostDutchlady, on 30 July 2013 - 01:44 AM, said:

Don't remove anything, put it in a warm place, leave it alone and have patience..... :)

I'm going to root a "Mystery" cutting as well, I have plenty of perlite on hand, can I added to any soil as African Violet's, Sphagnum Moss, if I don't have any cactus soil ?
>^..^<
Annamaria

#4 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'll catch it for saying this, but I use any soil I have available as long as its quick draining, and don't water it until it has some growth at top.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   FancyOrchid 

• PipPip

Posted 05 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

Thank you, bing, as I mentioned before hand, I have plenty of vermiculite and other soils I can use!!! Would you tell me what kind of Plumerias you have growing? Thanks again for taking the time for replying.
Annamaria

#6 User is offline   Jandey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:07 AM

I agree with Jay--use what you have as long as it drains well. You can fertilize to make up for minerals not in your mix. Plumeria will grow in awful soil in their native areas and will still bloom if given enough light and moisture. We just don't want their roots to sit in a soggy when they're in pots. Good luck!

Jen

#7 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

I posted a picture on the old plumeria forum before it got hacked of a plumeria growing on the side of a lava cliff in Hawaii being sprayed with salt water every time a wave crashed. They are incredible plants. The roots were stuck to the rock. No soil.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   FancyOrchid 

• PipPip

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:59 AM

View Postbing, on 08 August 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

I posted a picture on the old plumeria forum before it got hacked of a plumeria growing on the side of a lava cliff in Hawaii being sprayed with salt water every time a wave crashed. They are incredible plants. The roots were stuck to the rock. No soil.

Wowwww...what a beauty...is it "Kauka Wilder"? I hope so, my K.W. cutting is rooting!!!! Yehhhhhhh...and it did not take as lonnnnng as I thought it would...but I still have one question. What about the "leaves on top that were already there...and I can I tell when it's growing leaves of its own????
VERY Anxious to get the answer, very grateful,
ANNAMARIA

#9 User is offline   bing 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostFancyOrchid, on 09 August 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

View Postbing, on 08 August 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Wowwww...what a beauty...is it "Kauka Wilder"? I hope so, my K.W. cutting is rooting!!!! Yehhhhhhh...and it did not take as lonnnnng as I thought it would...but I still have one question. What about the "leaves on top that were already there...and I can I tell when it's growing leaves of its own????
VERY Anxious to get the answer, very grateful,
ANNAMARIA

haha congrats! heres my KW, guess it didn't like Texas! :) If its growing now you can water it....

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k151/bing_photo/001_zpse2e9e785.jpg
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Dutchlady 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

Great to hear it's rooted!
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   FancyOrchid 

• PipPip

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thanks to all of you, I hope I did it right!!! I transferred the Kauka cutting into a "regular" container,I used some of the soil it was rooting in,
Plastic pot-41/4 high,10 inch across top, 61/2 across bottom.
garden rocks around,inside bottom for stability and on the top, around the inside edge
a handful of soil mix, peat mixed with vermiculite and pumice and some old fuchsia flowers
the egg I used from rooting and a fresh one
watered with distilled water and vit. B1.
I set it on a hot red brick/tile in full sun for about 5 hours. SHOULD i KEEP IT ON HEAT MAT AT NIGHT, OR IS IT OK TO LEAVE IT OUTDOORS?
I should mention I still spray it with the dist. water mix.
Annamaria

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users