• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Black/burnt Stem Tips? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   JawKneeZee 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

Good Morning everyone!

I have an interesting issue with one of my plumeria. I have a large (6' tall) Maui Beauty in the ground facing west - exposing it to sun for the majority of the day. It has been in that same spot for over 3 years and I've noticed that when ever it gets hot, most of the tips (along with the new baby leaves forming) turn black. After a couple of weeks, the tips start growing in a deformed fashion or they fuse where they are and new stems sprout from below black/burnt areas. So, I'm assuming that either my plumeria is of a heat/light sensitive variety or theres something systemic going on that I'm unaware of. It bugs me because its starting to look like a frankenstein tree by me having to prune it more than normal. I have rooted quite a few of the cuttings and they all carry the same issue with the tips turning black. Any and all input is appreciated. Will attach photos when I get home. Thanks!

John

#2 User is offline   jackie 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:God, Grandkids, beaches, plumerias and tropicals, animals, photography,kayaking.

Posted 29 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostJawKneeZee, on 13 May 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Good Morning everyone!

I have an interesting issue with one of my plumeria. I have a large (6' tall) Maui Beauty in the ground facing west - exposing it to sun for the majority of the day. It has been in that same spot for over 3 years and I've noticed that when ever it gets hot, most of the tips (along with the new baby leaves forming) turn black. After a couple of weeks, the tips start growing in a deformed fashion or they fuse where they are and new stems sprout from below black/burnt areas. So, I'm assuming that either my plumeria is of a heat/light sensitive variety or theres something systemic going on that I'm unaware of. It bugs me because its starting to look like a frankenstein tree by me having to prune it more than normal. I have rooted quite a few of the cuttings and they all carry the same issue with the tips turning black. Any and all input is appreciated. Will attach photos when I get home. Thanks!

John

Hi John,
I'm sorry to hear about your poor Maui Black. I think we would need to see photos if you can get them. That might help some of the more knowledgeble people out there to take a look at the problem. I'm sorry I cant help much because I've only been growing for four years now. But there are several smart people on this forum that really know their stuff. I hope one can help. Good luck!
Jackie

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users