• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Edible? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LeslieC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Contributing Member

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:43 PM

I came across this webpage. Scroll down to read what it says about eating Plumeria. Has anyone every actually tried to eat a bloom? (LMAO but really I'm asking a serious question here :) )
http://www.epicurean...le-flowers.html
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   kenji 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

That's why I have no blooms to share, Les! ;) :P
Seriously though, I really don't know if anyone on the board tried them yet but I, personally, am not keen on trying them...
So all yer trees are safe... Despite myself I can't speak for others tho and dunno if Michael is coming over to cook them or Erv is BBQ'ing some for ya. :) :lol:
Posted Image
"I drink coffee, so I can do dumb things faster."

#3 User is offline   nancycorinne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I've been a member of this forum since 2004 (I think) - well whatever year it first started. <br /><br />I came here to learn more about growing plumerias but I've made great friends and learned a lot about other flowers I have learned to love like stephanotis, tuberoses, pikaki and hoyas.<br /><br />I play guitar and sing, have a karaoke catalog of about 20 thousand songs and my husband is a drummer. We have been members of different bands over the years - none you would have ever heard of but it's been fun!<br /><br />Currently, I have about 40+ rooted plumerias mostly unknowns. <br /><br />The named ones I have are Heidi, Lei Rainbow, Aztec Gold, of course, gotta have Celadine. I can't think of the others at the moment but I know there are a few. Mostly single tip cuttings at this point. I lost a lot during an unusual freeze a few years ago and was disgusted. I just did not know a lot about keeping them from freeze.<br /><br />I love the colors the fragrance and the diversity of plumerias.<br /><br />Good Growing!

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:09 PM

I read somewhere that the flowers are ok to eat (but I cannot confirm that) but I am pretty sure the latex is poisonous.

Here is a recipe for crystallized flowers for use with flowers you are sure are ok to eat. Very pretty for holiday time.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-f...cipe/index.html
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   malestrom 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Flowers, Fishing, Outdoors, Animals, Making Friends, Reptiles, Dogs, Rescuing animals. Computer Repairs, Networking Computers and people, Teaching

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

THE LATEX IS USED AS A PURGITIVE IN natural medicine.
Sowwy caps lok. ;P
Posted Image
SPRING IS HERE!! WOO-HOO!!!

TIME TO REVIVE THE CLAN AND SHOW EM OFF!!

PAKALA HAS 4 INFLOS ALREADY!! WOOT!!!

#5 User is offline   LeslieC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:46 AM

nancycorinne, on Dec 1 2008, 09:09 PM, said:

I read somewhere that the flowers are ok to eat (but I cannot confirm that) but I am pretty sure the latex is poisonous.

Here is a recipe for crystallized flowers for use with flowers you are sure are ok to eat. Very pretty for holiday time.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-f...cipe/index.html

I know the latex is poisonous. There was a discussion (wherever I was on the web!) about the latex on plumeria and oleanders and someone else chimed in with this link that you can eat the blooms. Just wondered if anyone had actually eaten one. I dont want to be the first to eat one :)
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   wolflady 

• PipPip

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:02 AM

Thanks nancycorinne for the crystallized flower recipe....I tried it last night on the last 4 blooms of Espinda. They came out absolutely beautiful. I don't know how long they will last. I'll just have to wait and see. Not using them for anything special...just wanted to see how it worked. What a great idea.

#7 User is offline   nancycorinne 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:I've been a member of this forum since 2004 (I think) - well whatever year it first started. <br /><br />I came here to learn more about growing plumerias but I've made great friends and learned a lot about other flowers I have learned to love like stephanotis, tuberoses, pikaki and hoyas.<br /><br />I play guitar and sing, have a karaoke catalog of about 20 thousand songs and my husband is a drummer. We have been members of different bands over the years - none you would have ever heard of but it's been fun!<br /><br />Currently, I have about 40+ rooted plumerias mostly unknowns. <br /><br />The named ones I have are Heidi, Lei Rainbow, Aztec Gold, of course, gotta have Celadine. I can't think of the others at the moment but I know there are a few. Mostly single tip cuttings at this point. I lost a lot during an unusual freeze a few years ago and was disgusted. I just did not know a lot about keeping them from freeze.<br /><br />I love the colors the fragrance and the diversity of plumerias.<br /><br />Good Growing!

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

I was thinking about that recipe last night. It uses raw egg whites and no cooking. I'm darn sure I would not eat eggs un-cooked. I don't wanna die of salmonella! Maybe it's OK if they have been dried 12-24 hours like the recipe calls for, but I dunno!

I'm glad you tried the recipe, wolflady! Let us know how long the flowers keep. Post a photo if you can!
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   LeslieC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

Yeah that's true Nancy! Didnt think about that. Not even sure I'd eat a flower---sugar coated or not :)
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users