• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Frost Protection "the Planket" Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   trojanfan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

Wanted to share what I found at HD today, it's called "the Planket" they had them in the garden section. They had 3 different sizes, I bought a 10x20 ft blanket, more information at www.theplanket.com . Hope this helps someone, temperatures here in Southern California, Inland Empire At 37-39 in the morning for the last week.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   LeslieC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

Prices arent bad either. Let us know how it works. Looks heavy to me?????? Might be worth a try tho!
Thanks for the info!
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   LeftCoastAngler 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:07 AM

I've also heard 'bout wrapping palms in Christmas Lights especially around the base to increase protection aswell... Could be a nice lookin' option for PlumieLovers too...

~LCA.
Brandon, FL
27.95N 82.28W (Elev. 62 ft)
USDA Zone 9B

#4 User is offline   LUVPLUMIE 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Contributing Member
  • Interests:God, Family, Friends, Plumeria and all the
    amazing things life has to offer.

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:00 AM

Trojan ;

Went to several HD in my area Inland Empire and they had no clue what I was talking about?

Temps got very low in Riverside last night, put most of my Plumies under some shelter have to many to try to save them all!!!!

I was out in the rain at temps of 40 deg. moving plants around (Crazy).

Will order a couple of the Plankets over the net today.

Thanks for the info.

Luvplumie.

View PostLeftCoastAngler, on Dec 18 2008, 01:07 AM, said:

I've also heard 'bout wrapping palms in Christmas Lights especially around the base to increase protection aswell... Could be a nice lookin' option for PlumieLovers too...

~LCA.

#5 User is offline   dennis 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:51 AM

You all, might want to research Freeze Cloth it comes on a big roll (enough to do most yards) it does the same job and much cheaper.

Here's the link: http://stores.ebay.c...unshine-Gardens Hope and George do handle the stuff but I believe they only do Florida deliverys because of the size of the roll. I also don't believe they list it on their eBay Store so you would have to call (941-575-0335) them and they can give you more details.

Good Luck,
Dennis :unsure:

#6 User is offline   ijplume 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

If you live in Carlsbad/Encinitas area in Southern California, freeze cloth can be purchased at Weidner's Nursery in Leucadia. Here's the link: http://www.weidners.com.

Irene Jones

View Postdennis, on Dec 18 2008, 05:51 PM, said:

You all, might want to research Freeze Cloth it comes on a big roll (enough to do most yards) it does the same job and much cheaper.

Here's the link: http://stores.ebay.c...unshine-Gardens Hope and George do handle the stuff but I believe they only do Florida deliverys because of the size of the roll. I also don't believe they list it on their eBay Store so you would have to call (941-575-0335) them and they can give you more details.

Good Luck,
Dennis :unsure:

#7 User is offline   sharlan 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:21 AM

I saw these yesterday at our local Home Depot (CHino Hills). They had a big box of different sizes. I'm going back today to get a couple.

#8 User is offline   John P. 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:too many to list!

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:44 AM

It's Saturday morning 8:43 am and it is 37 degrees in San Pedro right now!!! Is this the big freeze of 2008?
Hey TrojanFan, you going to the Rose Bowl? I am!!!!

FIGHT ON!

#9 User is offline   rtruck 

• PipPip

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:02 PM

Hey...cool to be back....been soooo long...

anywayz......the Plankets are cool and work. A lot of stuff will actually work to keep the plants dry and somewhat insulated, but the problem is that increasing the temps as some of the frost protection cloths claim to do is an elusive art...not so straight forward as just wrapping a plant, unfortunately. The frost cloth they use in the ag biz to increase temps and protect from frost rely on the heat from the ground (absorbed during a not-too-cloudy day) being relaeased and trapped under the cloth. The protection from the rain or frost and the insulating of the plants own heat is really a secondary function of the cloth and not it's main purpose. It will not usually save a plant in a hard frost from damage by simply wrapping a tree. It is necessary to add some sort of heat, as the non-growing and now close to dormant plumerias have slowed down their systems so much that they arent producing any real heat. This lends to why a quick frost will do so much less damage than will a long and cold but never frosty winter....the plant is trying to survive and will in short fights often, but a dragged out cold season on a stressed-out plant can spell doom!!! Anyway....just to say that the plankets are cool and will help....but the key is a heat source.....and the bulls-eye is those low-voltage Christmas lights Angler suggested....if you are lucky enough to have electricity nearby....they add a bunch of heat......wrap the tree in those for the cold nights, works great and adds several degrees of temp..(and its cool that our coldest season is at Holiday time, so you don't look like a nut decorating your tropical trees)...but the REAL TRICK is to then, on the frostiest of nights, get out those Plankets or whatever frost cloth you have (somewhat loosely so not to burn the place down) and wrap the trees WITH the lights on below the cloth. That will trap the heat generated by the lights and really do some protecting and temperature raising......just some tips if you are really afraid of a hard frost...dont leave them wrapped like that more than a day or two, as the lights alone are usually enough.
I've got a bunch of stuff on this subject if ever interested bcuz i have been busy maintaining some gardens with extensive collections of frost intolerant palms, tropicals, and succulents....so i have some practical experience right now....lol....no frost yet....but some real clear days and cold nights, so i have to stay ready to be ready, so to speak.....

great to see a lot of familiar names still here....hope to be back more often.....
Cheers!!

PS....anotha huge Trojan fan here that will be at the Rosebowl! FIGHT ON>>>>>GO USC!

#10 User is offline   lyg 

• PipPip

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

Welcome back rtruck. Glad to read your excellent advice on plant protection against the cold. Hopefully the newbies are taking notes cause I think some are in panic mode over wintering their plants. AHH, those were the days for most of us until we learned that plumerias are a lot more cold hardy than we think.

I did do a little (and I mean little) research on the net re: protecting all kinds of plants including plumerias. What I understood of the many articles I read was that you can cover plants with sheets, towels, etc. then put a plastic bag over them and they will be OK. Makes sense to me.

Do you or anyone have any experience with that theory?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users